• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

background mask issue

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure if this is a bug but when using mask tool and selecting background the changes can't be saved.

what is a fix for this?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please share some more details?

Exact version of LrC?

If v11, do you see the mask? Is the mask not stored, or the developments you are applying?

Also, a screenshot may be helpful.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, there's not enough to go on. 

When you say Background, do you mean that you've used Select Subject and the used Invert? Or is it a Select Sky?

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using the mask tool I used select sky to change the color of the sky. I'm
having trouble saving this specific task.

David

--
DavidAllenStudio.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, For me also "specific task" and "changes can't be saved" are statements that do not explain your question.

List every step in your workflow that will indicate how you are editing.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@David M Allen wrote-

"The problem is when you have an image open in develop, click on mask tool, click on adjust background, make any changes you wish, the problem is that the edits can NOT be saved or exported. The images reverts back to the original. The select subject may have this same issue."

What are you choosing when you "click on adjust background"? Do you mean the Masking icon on the tool bar?

Are you creating a Mask to 'Select Subject' , then checking the box to invert the mask for "background"?

Then what exact changes are you making to the sliders in the adjustment panel?

Are you then clicking [Done],or [Enter/Return x2], or [Esc]?

You do know that Develop adjustments are only 'saved' to any derivative image you 'Export' from LrC. The image (Preview) in the LrC library (Grid view or Loupe view) should show your adjustments made with the masking tools.

My example workflow for a sky adjustment-

I start with a mask to select the Sky-  Overlay 'off' / Overlay 'on'-

2021-12-10 10_29_54-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg   2021-12-10 10_10_37-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Adjustments made to sliders (Clarity & Dehaze)-

2021-12-10 10_11_25-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

Result visible in Grid view-

2021-12-10 10_11_59-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Persevere!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a common misunderstanding about how masks work. Most likely you are looking at the mask overlay, and have chosen an overlay that shows the background in black. That is not an adjustment however, it is just a way to view the mask. That is why it doesn't 'save' to your photo. There is nothing to save, because you have 't made an actual adjustment to the background.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines