Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backing up image files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I understand this correctly?

Lightroom Classic does not back up image files to cloud storage. Right or Wrong? Does it put anything on Adobe Cloud?

Lightroom (not Classic) uploads image files to the Adobe Cloud. Right? Thats why I had to buy more storage space. Right?

When I upload image files to Lightroom (not Classic) and sync them I can access them with Classic.

Are they the whole image file? Not a virtual copy? Not a smart preview?

By uploading to Lightroom (not Classic) I can back up all my image file to Adobe Cloud. Right?

Am I missing anything?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Lightroom Classic does not back up image files to cloud storage. Right or Wrong? Does it put anything on Adobe Cloud?

LrC does not sync original image files to Creative Cloud. You can create Collections and sync Smart Previews to the Creative Cloud where they will be available in Lightroom (cloud-based) and Lr Mobile. The smart previews do not count against your creative cloud allocation.

Lightroom (not Classic) uploads image files to the Adobe Cloud. Right? Tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC does not sync original image files to Creative Cloud. You can create Collections and sync Smart Previews to the Creative Cloud where they will be available in Lightroom (cloud-based) and Lr Mobile. The smart previews do not count against your creative cloud allocation.

Lightroom (not Classic) uploads image files to the Adobe Cloud. Right? Thats why I had to buy more storage space. Right?

Correct and those original images utilize your cloud storage allocation. Copies of the original files will download to your computer where LrC is installed and can be utilized by LrC.

When I upload image files to Lightroom (not Classic) and sync them I can access them with Classic.

Are they the whole image file? Not a virtual copy? Not a smart preview?

Correct.

By uploading to Lightroom (not Classic) I can back up all my image file to Adobe Cloud. Right?

Am I missing anything?

It is not recommended that you utilize Cloud Storage as .your back up, use an alternate backup of your image files,

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simple answer is: do not rely on LR to backup anything! Yes, there is a schema to backup only your catalog. Yes, you can upload images to the cloud. Don't consider this a sufficient backup plan! Backup anything you can't afford to ever lose. Images, Presets, Camera Profiles, Catalog, maybe previews (they can be regenerated but that takes time). 

Get a dedicated backup utility that will backup everything, daily, ideally to multiple destinations (HD's and a cloud) and all automatically. If you're on a Mac, I can recommend something very simple and inexpensive like SuperDuper or something a bit more powerful and expensive: Chronysync

Again, do not rely on Adobe for this task. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just want to underscore this. The cloud storage in Lightroom is NOT a backup. When you delete an image from it, it gets deleted everywhere (funnily enough except in Classic). Always make sure you have your own backup whether on a separate cloud backup service or on local hard disks. Best to do both. Make sure to backup everything. Adobe does some great work with Lightroom and friends but they do not help you secure yourself against hardware failure. Putting your full images in the Lightroom Cloud is better than nothing but it is not a very good backup solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines