• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backing up LR

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 LR catalogue and when I exit LR the dialogue box for backup options does not appear. I have one catalogue I don't use and dialogue box for that one does show. How can I get the dialogue box to show, and should I be backing up to external hard drive as well. 

Thanks for any help

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the catalog settings while using the catalog that you want to back up, and establish the frequency for which you want to have it backed up. Your catalog should be backed up to a drive other than the one where the catalog is being used, preferably an external hard drive (in my opinion).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I now see how to do it. I was going to back up to hard drive on computer as well as external hard drive, I guess that's  2 separate actions? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@idreanc60926822 wrote:

Thank you I now see how to do it. I was going to back up to hard drive on computer as well as external hard drive, I guess that's  2 separate actions? 

Lightroom Classic does not have an option to save the catalog backup to more than one location. You would have to change locations manually each time. If you want to do this, then it makes more sense to use a separate backup utility that does offer this.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jim. Change the catalog backup preferences to create the backups someplace other than the default pictures folder location. This tutorial explains how to choose the location and the frequency of catalog backups.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/where-should-i-put-my-backups/

It's important to understand that this backs up the catalog only, not your photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sorted now.  Does this also back up the ircart, data etc that you need to set up LR and download the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@idreanc60926822 wrote:

Thank you sorted now.  Does this also back up the ircart, data etc that you need to set up LR and download the files.

I'm not sure what the "ircart" is supposed to be, but the catalog backup is just that: a backup of the catalog file and the .lrcat-data file that holds the A.I. mask data. Nothing else is included, so do realise that you need to backup your images using something else.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yes I realize I need to back up my photos. Thanks.
Idrean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines