• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best process to recover raw-files from trash including development settings after dng conversion?

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I made a somewhat hasty discission to convert all my raw files (ARW) in Lightroom to dng. Reading I would save some diskspace...

After doing this I saw that actually the lossless dng file is rather a bit larger than the arw file. I therefore would like to reverse the process. Thankfully all the raw files are still in my recycle bin. I also have a backup of the catalogue from before the conversion.

What would be the best way to go about getting back to the state before the dng conversion?

• Just restoring the raw files from the recycle bin and re-importing does not work. As the raw files are added additionally and all the development settings I made are now attached to the dng instead of the raw. Syncing the raw and dng after works, but I only know how to do this manually for each pair (would take ages for the 6500 raws I want to restore).
  • Could I just delete the dngs, restore the raws form trash and then restore the catalogue from the backup?

As you can see I am a bit unsure and could really use some help. Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

TiredHornet22

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

If you have a catalog backup from just before you converted, then the second option should work just fine. Restore the raw images, replace your catalog by the backup copy and all should be working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a catalog backup from just before you converted, then the second option should work just fine. Restore the raw images, replace your catalog by the backup copy and all should be working again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Johan, worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines