Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to manage Lightroom Classic library with two PCs

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I recently built a editing rig and I am lost when trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

currently I have my entire and rather large Lightroom Classic catalog on my old laptop and it syncs via Creative Cloud to Lightroom on my iPhone as well.

What is the best way to move my entire library (photos, presets, edits etc) from my laptop to my editing rig without getting tons of errors. also is there a way to still be able to use my laptop when on travel to be able to edit on the go and than transfer my work to my editing rig when I get back to the office (External drive maybe) from what i understand i can only sync via creative cloud to two devices.

Thanks in advance 

- Mike

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simplest way is to use an external disk and store both the catalog and the images on it. I recommend using a ssd drive for this. They are small, fast, and much more rugged than spinning drives. You can only sync from a single Classic catalog file but that catalog can be loaded on any pc or Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would I still be able to sync my edits to the cloud this way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes syncing is specific to the catalog file and it doesn't matter which device you open it on as long as it is logged onto the same Adobe account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for using an external drive and I'll add, use the "Store Presets with Catalog" preference. That way, those important files travel on the drive. 

Even more effective is using DNG's. Custom DCP profiles don't travel with those presets (bummer) but they do inside the DNG container. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines