Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blurry image in "Develop" module

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am new to Lightroom and have encountered something that seems rather strange to me. When looking at images in the "Library" module, everything is crystal-clear and sharp. Whenever I change to the "Develop" module, however, the image I am looking at gets noticeably blurrier. It just looks like it is not rendered in the same quality. I do not have the issue when zooming in, but I'd of course like to look at the entire image at once and still get a sharp image. When I change back to "Library", it clears up (you can actually see it becoming sharper).

I am a bit at a loss as to what to do here. I did research the problem online, of course, and only found the suggestion to disable the graphics processor in settings and then restart Lightroom. Unfortunately, this did not solve my issue.

I am using...

- Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 (latest version), vanilla install (no plugins/extensions besides what came preinstalled)

- GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 (6GB) with the latest drivers installed

- Processor: Intel i5 6500

- RAM: 16GB

- Screen resolution: 1920x1080, only this one monitor in use

When using Lightroom on my MacBook Pro, this issue is NOT present, so I suspect it has something to do with my other computer.

Thank you for your help and my apologies if this isn't the right place, I'd be happy to move this or ask somewhere else.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Yes the develop preview is unsharp with certain GPU processors. This has been reported before. The only fix in those cases is to disable the GPU if it bothers you. I vaguely remember that it turned out to have to do with some limitations of the video cards or in how they support the GPU acceleration that Lightroom uses but I am not 100% positive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem since the recent update in October 2020. My images at 100% have a slight pixilation which is very annoying when trying to assess sharpness. Exported images are fine at 100%. Whatever the suggestions, as per Jao vdl above, it is still doing this. iMac 27" retina 5k late 2015 32GB RAM. Any other helpful suggestions would be very welcome! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is over two years old now and there still isn't a solution for this. This is very annoying. I've uploaded a comparison of three screenshots. 
1) Image at 25% in Library module -> Tack sharp

2) Image at 25% in Develop module -> Less sharp

3) Image at 25% in Develop module and rotated by 0,05% -> Rather blurry

http://www.andreasresch.at/upload/LRC_Test_01.zip 

And don't even try to contact the chat support. They always suggest to reinstall the whole OS or buy a new PC. It's embarassing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And for me it makes no difference to activate or deactivate the GPU. It's the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having this problem in October as well. I have a brand new IMac and everything is blurry in develop mode so I sure hope they don't expect me to buy a new 5k Retina display IMac and MacBook. Seriously this is ridiculous!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has worked for me:

You haven't mentioned resetting your preferences - they survive an uninstall/reinstall -

A Preference File will survive a Lightroom uninstall/reinstall. Sometimes weird behavior is corrected/cured by resetting the preferences.

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be experiencing the below issue, which was introduced in LrC 9.3. The Library module preview now uses nearest neighbor interpolation. This simpler interpolation makes the image look sharper, but also produces stair-step artifacts (jaggies). The Develop module provides the most accurate rendering at less than 33.3% Zoom.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/library-preview-zoom-interpolation-ch...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem seems to have been solved by the update to Big Sur on our Macs. No pixillation at 100% now in Develop mode. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Finally, someone sees what I'm seeing. Only took
1 year to prove in not crazy. I hope Adobe can manage to fix this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Folks,

I was here reading the thread that started from 2018 Nov of 2020, I know theres a lot of things to worry rather than finding how to render a proper sharpness in your PC. Well, I have encountered this issue couple of months ago and so annoying and frustrating not to be able to find the solution in time, I accepted it for a while and just kept on switching from Library to Develop module just to check if the photos are sharp its excruciating and I hated Adobe for hiring LAZY, LOSERS support, excuse my words but this is out of frustration. But I decided that enough is enough so I dug deeper high and low over and above, found the solution and I wanted to help others, Adobe hired enthusiastic and passionate people rather than charging us premium, but not delivering premium service.(SHAME) Anyway, here it is https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html. Hope this resolve the issue you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SIMPLE - Turn off "USE SMART PREVIEWS INSTEAD OF ORIGINALS FOR IMAGE EDITING" HAHAHA SOMETIMES I DONT THINK THESE PEOPLE HAVE A CLUE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, YOU certainly has no clue and also didn't read the entire thread. But you probably started using Lr yesterday and you're feeling smart. Atta boy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the Same Problem with unfocused imiges in Develop comapared to the Library image. Started searching for a salution, and found this thread.

THIS FIXED IT FOR ME...

It was a graphics processor (GPU) issue. I am running a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060, and had it enabled, or set on AUTO. 

Aparently Lightroom does not like that GPU, or finds it "incompatible".  In Lightroom, at the top, go to- Edit (Win) > Preferences > Performance. Then next to Use Graphics Processor, you have 3 choices- Auto, Custom, and OFF. turn it to OFF. Mine was on Auto and that was causing the issue. even when I played around with the Custom setting, it didnt fix it all the way.

Something as important as critical focus observation in a professional photo editing program not working, and Adobe lets  this go on for years.  Sad 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Macbook Pro and I had the same issue, but this fixed it for me, thanks! My only question now is what do I lose when I disable the GPU Processing? Anyone knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know if this will help, but on Mac, going to the application file itself, right clicking and selecting get info, then un-ticking open in low-resolution fixed this for me. I have never had this issue on Windows, and was running it in low-res mode on this older Mac just fine until about two weeks ago. Dont know what happened but that fixed it. Also when doing this, shutdown lightroom and make sure the process has fully ended using Activity Monitor before changing and reopening. 

I wont lie im starting to get tired of Adobe causing more issues than it fixes. Im already in the process of learning Davinci Resolve because Lumetri and other things in Premiere have become insanely unstable, on multiple devices and configurations. Now Lightroom is getting buggy. 😕 

Hope this helps someone. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off the button "Use Smart Previews instead...." in the Preferences > Performance > Develop. It Worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here, after the photo has loaded (few seconds later) it turns a bit blurry. in photoshop every picture is very sharp and stays sharp! this issue only occurs in Lr classic version...tried everything no results

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you really try everything?

It is not a good solution and not a one I could live with in the long run, but (for me at least) turning off GPU acceleration helps. It does make working on images slower, though…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to a very old thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same issue which you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information including system information, a complete description of the problem and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

In the unlikely event the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines