• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book module adding custom text with date info, options?

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help, smartees. I'm trying to make a book ofscanned ancient family photos, as a family archivist. I want to add any data info to some text, with the book module Photo text custom feature. Is my only option for a DATE value, to use the Capture Date, which of course is recent, and editable (I can edit the capture time to be whatever)? Does lightroom allow for other date fields in the database? Can the book module flow in these other date fields? The metadata edit seems limited, at least for my date quest.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do have the option of creating a Photo Text Preset that can contain any metadata in combination.

Not intuitive until the method is understood. Here are some screen-clips to explain:

1)  Choose [Edit] from the 'Photo Text' drop-down menu-

2021-11-08 08_28_34-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Book.jpg 

2) Create your Preset in the Text Template Ediotor- 'Build' it from all the available metadata options.

See the Example: that previews your template.

2021-11-08 08_30_17-Text Template Editor.jpg

3) SAVE your new Text Template as a Preset. Use a suitable descriptive name.

2021-11-08 08_30_37-Text Template Editor.jpg

4) Your Text Preset will then show when you check the 'Photo ext' option on a selected photo-

2021-11-08 08_31_47-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Book.jpg

5) Your Text Presets can always be reused in future from the Drop-down Preset ment-

2021-11-08 08_35_18-Lightroom Catalog-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Book.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, you are the master. Thanks fr the deets. I have looked at this menu a fair amount, in fact, to determine if there is any other DATE field or any other metadata fields that can be used that could hold date information. I want to add a data value to many photos, my family archives, inherited from my grandfather, family photos from the 1930's, some of whuich I have exact days, hand written on some prints. I want a date field called "Date photograph was made", to be clear. and use that date to sort by and also use it in a photo text the book module photo text tool could use. It seems that Lightroom is limited in this respect. Any advice? I'm concluding that I need to overwite the date fuield I have access to,  Edit Capture Time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To achieve what you want-

Step#1-  Edit the Capture Date/Time metadata of all the files to the date they were taken.

My example is film exposed in 1997 and negs scanned.

Step#2- Design a Photo Text Preset that displays exactly what you want. You can type words in the text box, and there are many more options for metadata from the drop-down menus. (eg. the 'Date' field)

2021-11-09 13_48_40-Window.jpg

And with the Preset added to a Photo Cell in the Book it might appear like this-

2021-11-09 13_49_13-Window.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines