• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Borderless printing - can't set custom paper

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to help a friend on her PC (I am a Mac user, so this may be a dumb question). She wants to print borderless which I set up on my Mac by creating a custom size paper with 0 width borders. When I try to do this on her PC, I hit "Custom size..." in the paper size list but no dialog box to add details appears.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help to indicate what Printer your friend is using. 

Typically on Windows, the User Defined Print dimension options are in the Printer Driver Dialog and not the Lightroom Page Setup Dialog. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does which printer make a difference? On my Mac I set a custom paper size so that I can reduce the borders to 0 but I select which printer I want independent of that i.e. I say I want a borderless print and then I pick which printer to print it on.

However, she's using my old Canon Pro-100s. I used it for borderless prints a lot so I thought setting it up for her would be simply a matter of doing what I did for my prints.

In Lightroom, I clicked on "Page Setup..." in the print module and the selected "Custom..." from the page size drop down list. I thought the "..." after Custom meant a dialog box would appear to allow me to specify my paper size and margins. But it didn't. I tried the same process with her Brother printer selected for printing and the same thing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every printer has a different dialog configuration.

• Canon Pro-100
  • LrC [Page Setup]
  • LrC [Print Properties]
  • Canon [Quick Setup] Tab
  • Canon [Print Paper Size:] Pulldown
  • Canon Select [Custom…]
  • Custom Paper Size Dialog Appears
  • Set dimensions
  • Go back to Lightroom and Custom should already be chosen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll ask her to try that. No wonder I struggled - it's a lot easier on a Mac!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She followed these instructions but the "Custom Paper Size" dialog does not include any options for setting the paper margins, so LrC still won't let her set the margins to 0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Margins are set in the Page Layout section of the Page Setup tab in the Canon Dialog.  You have to set the page up completely in the Canon dialogs.  Lightroom will honor those settings.  You can click on a borderless preset in that dialog as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to go round to her house and have a look. She has done all the above and created a page set up that is A4 in size with 0 margins, but Lr is not recognising it and still adding margins even when she selects "Custom" as the paper size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Canon printers there will support specific sizes for borderless printing. See the attached screen capture.

I would suggest you check the printer manual for instructions.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion. Please see my response to Bob Somrak's post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did she install the Canon Printer driver?  If not then then borderless printing will not be available in the dialogs on Windows.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the printer driver for her when I delivered the printer (it is my old printer).

I used whatever software a PC uses by default (I am a Mac user, so I don't know this) to open a JPEG on her desktop and print it as a test. It printed borderless.

The issue comes earlier in the process when setting the print job up in Lightroom. To print borderless, I need to be able to set the page margins to 0. You cannot do this by default and on my Mac I set it up by creating a custom page size with 0 width borders. Then when I set that paper size, the sliders in Lightroom can go all the way to 0.

I cannot find a way to make my friend's Lightroom on her PC allow the borders to be set to 0. She has created a page size with 0 width borders, but the sliders in Lightroom still only go down to about 0.13" when dragged all the way to the left. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you correctly install the Canon 100 printer drivers you DO NOT have to create a Custom Page for A4 borderless, you just pick it from the built in paper selection.  Screen clip for Mac

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 10.27.57 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob.

Now that you say it, I think that's what happened when I started using the printer on my Mac, but it was 3 years ago so I can't quite remember. The web pages I looked at all talked about creating a new paper size, so I assumed that's what I must have done, but you are right - the borderless option is built in when I look on my Mac.

I guess this means that we need to re-install the printer driver on the PC and try to get these options to show there as well.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would download the drivers directly from the Canon website for the Windows machine and get the XPS drivers which allow 16 bit printing.  I installed a Pro 100 on a Windows 10 machine for someone else about a year ago and it didnt work right until we installed the Canon drivers.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines