Brush presets properly installed - but brush tool can't access

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had Lightroom CC running on an older PC. I installed Lightroom CC (11.4.1) on my new PC and properly reinstalled brush presets into the local adjustments folder via preferences. The brush tool cannot access the brush presets on the effect menu even though I can see the files in the local adjustments folder - see first screen shot below. To make sure I didn't have corrupt files, I downloaded a fresh preset from the internet and properly placed it in the local adjustment folder and even though I could see the new preset file in the folder, the brush could not access it. Second screenshot shows that the "preferences" dialog box is properly configured. Even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Lightroom thinking that it may have been a corrupt install. Did notice that my ID is displayed with a "%20" between first and last name, but read that was a bug. Greatly appreciate any help.

 

davidz65245288_0-1658185761199.png

davidz65245288_1-1658185871208.png

 

 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

46

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

The files starting with "._" look like Mac (sidecar?) files that would accompany the 'true'  .LRTEMPLATE files. You do not need "._" files in a PC system.

Do you have files named like "KD D&B - Burn......" without the "._"?

 

Likes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

I agree with @Rob_Cullen  Seems you first installed them in the wrong folder, and so Lightroom tried to convert them. In that process it added "._" in front of the name, and that is the problem. Remove that from the name and see if that solves it.

 

 

Likes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

 

 

 

 

Had Lightroom CC running on an older PC

 

 

 

 

What vetsion was that?

As you are showing lrtemplate files instead of xmp files, I am thinking the old computer had a very old Lr on it. Thinking prior to v7.3. Mind you LrC should convert them at startup.

 

And by brushes, you mean as used in the new masking?

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Appreciate your time and thoughts on this. Actually, was running version 11.4.1 even though the machine was a 2012 vintage. As I understand it, the brush presets are still lrtemplate files, the develop presets need to be xmp files. The advice from your colleagues (see other responses below) solved the problem.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files starting with "._" look like Mac (sidecar?) files that would accompany the 'true'  .LRTEMPLATE files. You do not need "._" files in a PC system.

Do you have files named like "KD D&B - Burn......" without the "._"?

 

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.4.1 Photoshop 23.4.1, ACR 14.4.2, Lightroom 5.3, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.2, Windows-10.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!! That's it. These sets of brush presets were downloaded from a vendor a couple years ago and the lrtemplates with the "." were just hiding in the folder with all the other brush presets and (unfortunately) I picked those to try to transfer to the new machine. I have found all the brush presets WITHOUT the "." and ALL have presets been transferred over. Thanks very much for your help and insight - I'm sure I couldn't have been the first to run into this!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @Rob_Cullen  Seems you first installed them in the wrong folder, and so Lightroom tried to convert them. In that process it added "._" in front of the name, and that is the problem. Remove that from the name and see if that solves it.

 

 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - this solved it! See my reply to Rob_Cullen above. Not sure where the files with the "." got modified but they were in the local adjustment folder on the old machine and unfortunately, that was the test batch that I tried to transfer. Found all the brush presets without the "." and successfully transferred to new (and much faster) machine - old machine was vintage 2012. Thanks much for your help!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines