• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Building RAF thumbnails on import very slow

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am struggling with a problem that I tried to ignore for a while. But after having tested a LR competitor software (and having seen how fast imports could be) I am frustrated about this issue. So I hope for a solution on that.

In the import dialog, for my Fuji RAF files, it takes a long time to generate the thumbnails to chosse the files to be imported. Each thumbnail takes verious seconds to generate. Let´s say, for 30 Files it may take about 2 -3 Minutes. Sometimes some of the thumbnails seem to not generate at all. But: whem I click on the single view of one file - the preview is immediately there (obviously the embedded JPG) - going back to the grid view, it still takes forever and most of the thumbnails are still gray. This makes importing almost impossible. 

I already reinstalled LR from scratch. I tried with a new catalog. Issue is always the same.

Any ideas or recommendations on that? 

MacbookPro Late 2016, BigSur

LR Classic, 10.2

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you importing via a USB cable, a card reader, or from a disk? As a first troubleshooting step, copy the files to the disk and then import them into LR from there.  Does that go any faster?   What to do next depends on this first step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this already. Does not matter which source is used. It goes faster with DNG or other RAW files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which camera model?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuji X100F, XT-2 and X-Pro2. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested importing 30 X-Pro2 files from dpreview.com on my LR 10.2 / Mac OS 11.2.3 / Macbook Pro 2019, and the Import window displayed the thumbnails in a few seconds. This suggests the issue is specific to your configuration.

Since LR is simply reading the embedded thumbnails, this isn't an issue with rendering the raw files, the GPU, or the preview cache.

Try resetting LR's preferences: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.  (Reinstalling LR doesn't reset preferences.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will try and let you know. When I reinstalled LR I deleted evertything (Mac App Cleaner) - but I will give it a try. Must be some individual problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this did not change a thing. Execpt that I have to set up my preferences from sctrach ;-).

Still some thumbnails take more than 30 seconds to load.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-01 um 19.33.15.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too bad. Maybe someone else has some suggestions. (Re preferences, I indicated that the article explains how to save and restore your old preferences.  If you have regular backups, you could restore them from backup.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried some more. I tried to format the SD Card on the Mac or in different cameras. No difference. Importing existing files from interbal SSD. Same problem. And I figured out, that during building the thumbnails the CPU load is very high (around 250%). So strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"during building the thumbnails the CPU load is very high (around 250%)"

I think that's normal -- I observe similar CPU utilization on my Macbook Pro. LR is using multiple processor cores to process the thumbnails concurrently (and faster).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you ever find a fix? I have the same issue, on Windows, Lightroom Classic 11.4 but it goes back to as far as I can remember. Fuji files (all models). Any other software displays the thumbnails lightning fast, but Lightroom does exactly what you decribe here. Takes ages. A real PITA.... Thanks (and sorry I now this is an old topic but the issue is seriously annoying)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dirk Offringa, are you importing via a card reader or a USB cable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, thanks for your reply. I import via a card reader, but I also tried copying the whole card to the desktop (SSD) and that doesn't change anything: it's still extremely slow, if not inexistent (LR shows a couple of thumbnails and then just waits, displaying one ore two new ones randomly in the on-screen grid. When I open the same folder in the same location in my other editing software (DxO Photolab5) the thumbnails are shown almost instantaneaously. So does Irfanview (my default media viewer).
Dirk (sorry for the defaultglibberish auto-generated username...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded some sample Fuji X-S10 photos from dpreview.com and duplicated them to make a folder of 120 raws.  My LR 11.4.1 / Mac OS 12.4 shows their thumbnails in the Import window nearly instantaneously, and after importing builds their standard-sized previews as fast as with any other camera.

Which camera model(s) are you having this problem with?  If others can replicate the problem, it's much more likely Adobe will take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Fujifilm X-Pro1, X100S, X-T1, X-H1 and X100V cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2022 Jul 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded sample X-H1 raws from dpreview.com and made copies to create a folder of 512 images. My LR's Import window showed the thumbnails very quickly.  (Dpreview didn't have raw samples for other cameras you listed.) 

Unfortunately, without an easy way for Adobe to replicate the problem, it's not likely they'll pay much attention, unless many more people report similar symptoms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have a FUJI RAF workflow - have for many years. LR is definitely slower working on these files than compared to, say, my Canon CR3 or TIFF files via Phase One. I heard once that it had something to do with LR being more efficiently coded to decode files from Bayer sensors; Fuji X-Trans suffers as a result (apparently).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines