• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bypass Adobe Cloud in Using Lightroom?

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2021 Aug 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyway to avoid syncing to Adobe?  I am using the camera on my iPhone (yes, I am not a photographer) and Lightroom Classic on my MacBook Pro Laptop (OS: Catalina), and more than half the times I attempt to sync, it doesn't work in that it skips at least one photo -- usually more.  The missing photos are on the iPhone, but the ones that are missing don't get to the Adobe cloud.  The ones that get there work fine; they sync back down into my laptop version of LRC where I develop them.  But I have called Adobe 4 times in the last few months and the solution for syncing all the photos on my iPhone (XS) is different each time.  I really don't want to do that anymore.  Is there anyway I can just hook up my iPhone to my laptop after taking the pictures and get them into LRC directly?  I don't care about having anything on Adobe.com.  

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any synchronizing of photos between Lightroom Classic and your iPhone (or any mobile device) has to be done via the Adobe Cloud.

Yes, you can connect the iPhone (or any mobile device) directly to your computer and import the photos that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@web1305 wrote:

I am using the camera on my iPhone...Is there anyway I can just hook up my iPhone to my laptop after taking the pictures and get them into LRC directly?

Although you can plug the iPhone into the Mac, when you import from Lightroom Classic and select the phone it sees only the pictures in the iPhone Camera Roll, not the pictures stored by the Lightroom app.

If you want to transfer photos taken using the camera built into the Lightroom app on your iPhone (not the camera app that comes with the phone), it is possible to bypass Adobe cloud sync, but it’s a lot of steps. You have to export them from the Lightroom phone app to a folder on your phone, then after you connect the phone to your Mac, use Lightroom Classic to import from that folder.

Making this more complex is that you must know how to use the Export As command in the Lightroom phone app to export them as DNG (if you want to transfer Lightroom app edits) or Original/raw (if you don't need to transfer edits). It also helps if you are familiar with how to use the iOS Files app to navigate folders on your iPhone.

There is a brief demo here. It shows an iPad, but it works the same way on the iPhone:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/transferring-travel-photos-from-ipad-mobile-to-lr-c...

Also, you might disable syncing in the Lightroom phone app if you don't want it to try and upload phone pics to the Adobe cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link between your iPhone and Lightroom Classic is the Adobe Cloud, if you wish to do this without downloading the images first. That said, you can manually downloasd your images to your computer and then upload into Lightroom.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  You said, "you can manually downloasd your images to your computer and then upload into Lightroom."  that is good to know.  The second part of the question is how to do that: HOW to manually download images to my computer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@web1305 wrote:

Thanks.  You said, "you can manually downloasd your images to your computer and then upload into Lightroom."  that is good to know.  The second part of the question is how to do that: HOW to manually download images to my computer.  

See the answer that @Conrad C gave you already. You have to export the images to the camera roll.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@JohanElzenga wrote:  

See the answer that @Conrad C gave you already. You have to export the images to the camera roll.

Actually no, I did not say to export to the Camera Roll*, but to a folder on the iPhone. But re-reading the original question, we should be clear on what is being asked here.

@web1305 wrote:

Is there anyway to avoid syncing to Adobe?  I am using the camera on my iPhone

If the photos were taken using the camera app built into iOS, the photos were saved in the Apple Photos app on iOS. All you have to do then is start Lightroom Classic on the Mac, plug the iPhone into the Mac, and the Import dialog box in Lightroom Classic will see the iPhone as an import source you can select. If this is what you need to do, you don’t need to read any further.

If the photos were taken using the camera in the Lightroom app, then the photos are in raw format, stored in the Adobe cloud, and can be exported from Lightroom. If this is how you captured the photos, then when you export them from Lightroom using Export As, you have to pick a folder to export them to. Where is the folder that you chose?

A. In a subfolder of On My iPhone or On My iPad.

B. On external USB storage connected to the iPhone/iPad.

If the exported images are now on a folder on your iPhone/iPad, you have to move or copy them to your Mac. If you don’t want to use any cloud service, you can copy the files from the iPhone to external USB storage, and then plug that USB storage into your Mac. Or, you can turn on File Sharing on your Mac, use Connect to Server in the iOS Files app to see the Mac’s folders from the iPhone, and use that to copy the images from the iPhone to a folder on the Mac. After you use either method, you can then have Lightroom Classic import from the folder on the Mac where you moved or copied the images from the iPhone.

Yes, that seems complicated. And that is exactly why Adobe, Apple, and Google came up with their similar cloud sync systems for photos. With cloud sync, instead of having to remember a series of manual steps involving cables and drives, you do nothing...the images sync themselves from your phone to your computer through Lightroom Photos or iCloud Photos or Google Photos.

*Advanced users who want to export raw files taken by the Lightroom camera should not export to the Camera Roll, because Export to Camera Roll supports only the JPEG format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines