C key brings up side by side comparison windows with the edited photo but no original photo

New Here ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am new to Lightroom Classic. I am editing my 2nd photo but unlike the first when I hit the C key the comparison windows come up but only the edited pic is shown and a blank 2nd window. Why is this not working the way the first pic did.

When I started on the first pic I first imported all the pictures into the film strip and for whatever reason that original was kept in the strip. I have just this one picture in the film strip this time and the original did'nt stay. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Thank you in advance for any help you guys can give.

John

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I hit the C key the comparison windows come up but only the edited pic is shown and a blank 2nd window. Why is this not working the way the first pic did.

So you need TWO thumbnails selected on the Filmstrip that you can 'Compare'. How many photos have you imported to the Catalog? I hope you are not deleting them from the Catalog (and possibly the hard-drive!)

When I started on the first pic I first imported all the pictures into the film strip and for whatever reason that original was kept in the strip.

Not sure what you mean by this! Filmstrip will normally show all imported photos in the current Folder that is selected and photos would also be visible in Grid View [G]. What do you see in Grid View?

I have just this one picture in the film strip this time and the original did'nt stay. What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

What is your exact workflow?

Have you selected another Folder with only one image?

You can select multiple Folders in the Folder panel (in Grid view) by the usual [Ctrl+Click].

Where are your imported photos stored in your hard-drive folders?

Screen-clips of what you are seeing would be helpful.

What Version of Lr-Classic?

In the Library module- You have 'Compare view' [C] (2 photos) and  'Survey View' [N]  (several photos), selected on the Filmstrip.

The Develop module has-

1) Before/After views [Y|Y]  of the current (one) image being edited. Keyboard shortcut [Y]

2) Reference View  [R|A]   will show the current image being edited, and you drag another photo from the Filmstrip to act as the 'Reference photo'. Keyboard shortcut [Shift+R]

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.3, Photoshop 23.3, ACR 14.3, Lightroom 5.3, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.1, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I hit the C key the comparison windows come up but only the edited pic is shown and a blank 2nd window. Why is this not working the way the first pic did.

I started out importing all the photos I was planning to edit so I had like 8 pictures in the strip. I finishe with the first one which had a second picture with it a jpg. I shot using raw/jpg for all the pictures. I moved on to the next picture in the strip but it only had the one picture it was missing the jpg and I thought Lightroom would create a second original for comparison but it didn't. 

I tried removing the rest of the pictures from Lightroom and just import the one and it didn't work as you know.

When I started on the first pic I first imported all the pictures into the film strip and for whatever reason that original was kept in the strip.

What is your exact workflow?

To start I copied the pictures to the hard drive from my sd card and then I went into Lightroom Classic and selected the picture folder and they came up in grid view. I checked the pictures that I wanted because there were a lot more pictures that I didn't want to edit. I imported the selected pictures and they showed up in the filmstrip. These pictures were taken on my drone in RAW-JPG format. I edited the first picture and I assume was able to use the the JPG picture as the original for comparison.

Have you selected another Folder with only one image?

I selected the folder that the pictures were in but I only checked the ones I wanted and left the rest unchecked.

I checked the original picture file on the hard drive and compared it to the SD card and all the pictures went to the hard drive. I have a DNG and a JPG picture for all of them but in Lightroom there are JPGs missing on 2 or 3 pictures and I don't know how to get them in there.

You can select multiple Folders in the Folder panel (in Grid view) by the usual [Ctrl+Click].

Where are your imported photos stored in your hard-drive folders?

Screen-clips of what you are seeing would be helpful.

What Version of Lr-Classic?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I shot using raw/jpg for all the pictures. I moved on to the next picture in the strip but it only had the one picture it was missing the jpg

There is a Preference setting on the General tab-

Rob_Cullen_0-1652843439893.png

If this is checked then Lightroom-Classic will import BOTH the raw and its JPG pair (sidecar file) into the Catalog, and should show them both on the Filmstrip.

If you do not see both, then the possibilities are-

-There was no JPG to import,

-The JPG was not Imported, (See the Preference setting)

-You deleted the JPG (from the Catalog & possibly the drive),

-You have a Filter active that only shows the raw files.

-You are viewing a Collection that does not contain the JPGs

tried removing the rest of the pictures from Lightroom

WRONG, WRONG. Lightroom-Classsic uses a database (Catalog) that references the images you add into the Catalog. [Remove] them from the Catalog- then they will not show, and if you chose [Delete from Disk] then they are totally gone (to the trash).

Import ALL photos to the Catalog- That is the prime purpose of its existance! to make a Library index of your photos (then its secondary purpose is rendering raws & developing images).

I selected the folder that the pictures were in but I only checked the ones I wanted and left the rest unchecked.

What do you mean  by "checked"?  (Selected, Flagged, placed in a Collection, filtered?)

in Lightroom there are JPGs missing on 2 or 3 pictures and I don't know how to get them in there.

If they are not in the Catalog (or were removed) -Import them once again (Presuming you did not delete them!).

You can do this (Import) in either of two ways-

1) Use the normal [Import] dialog with the [ADD] option set and select the folder (in a File Explorer window) where they are stored in the Source panel, or

2) you can select the Folder (where you know they exist) in the Folders Panel and [Right-Click] and select [Synchronize Folder...]

If you are not understanding the basics of Catalogs then start with this free eBook for Lightroom-CLASSIC from the Lightroom Queen-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 11.3, Photoshop 23.3, ACR 14.3, Lightroom 5.3, Lr-iOS 7.0.2, Bridge 12.0.1, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines