Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Camera to Lightroom - mobile - workflow outline request

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, after many years with Canon 5Diii I've switched to Sony A7iii. As that's a relatively old model, with the new version just announced, I'm hoping this is something that people have got worked out and can help me with.

I use Lightroom Classic. Until now if I've taken a photo on my iPhone I've edited it with Snapseed and eventually both versions of the image have ended up on my PC (not Mac) via the iCloud mechanism.

Periodically I import those into Lightroom Classic. Job done.

With the advent of the ability to easily send images to my mobile from the camera (and I saw that one can send as one shoots for example for sports photographers) I'm interested in what Lightroom Mobile App could do for me in terms of maybe editing one or two images on the day to post on Instagram etc - but then to have those images appear in my Lightroom Classic on the PC somehow magically rather than having to take the SD card out and download them later (or if I do have to download them later that the edited images stack neatly with the freshly imported images).

Does anyone have a workflow for Sony A7iii to iPhone with Lightroom Mobile to PC with Lightroom Classic that they can explain to me, please?

I'm asking simply to save re-inventing the wheel!

Thank you.

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Without answers from anyone else I've been burrowing around looking at this. This is just for anyone else with the same question.

Sony has an Imaging Edge app (it supercedes PlayMobile) and I can connect that to the Sony A7iii quite easily. By shooting RAW+JPG the transfer is slightly faster than RAW only. I can press the Fn button on the camera and transfer all from a specific date (i.e. today) and they appear in my Camera Roll on the iPhone. Indeed I *could* buy into Sony's cloud system and transfer direct to there (but you'll see why I'm not about to do that in a moment).

Next step is to import them into Lightroom Mobile - easy enough, again, select and import in the app on my phone.

I edited a few. I exported back to camera roll with watermark and posted to Instagram/Facebook. I'm happy with the functionality there.

The problem comes with getting them to the PC. I say "problem" what I mean is silly level of expense. Actually the mechanism is quite easy - synchronise Lightroom Classic with Adobe Cloud and the images are all there and ranked. I'm not sure about the RAWs as I abandoned the experiment due to cost.

My Office 365 subscription comes with 1TB of cloud storage. Most of which I don't use. Apple iPhone storage for 200GB is £2.49 or £6.99 for 2TB in the UK. I have their 50GB tier for £0.79 and most of it I don't use - but I suspect it would fill up if I were to be using Lightroom to handle my images and I'd need to have both Apple iCloud and Adobe Cloud at a tier big enough to handle the images being edited/transferred.

To use Lightroom I'd have to buy the Lightroom Cloud subscription. The £9.99 plan with Lightroom and Photoshop comes in at £9.98 a month and has 20GB but to get to something useable at 1TB is a jump to £19.97 a month. In other words to achieve transfer to the PC via the phone (allowing on-the-fly rating and editing) would cost me £120 a year extra. That's quite a bit of a jump - especially when I have 1TB "empty" on my Office 365 account that might have otherwise been used. Or my Dropbox account could have been used. Or any other cloud system (Amazon, Google, anything else...)

But no. It wants me to use Adobe Cloud.

In recent years there has been a move from all suppliers, not just Adobe, to tie one into their cloud system. Personally I just want to tie into any given supplier's software and choose my own cloud storage mechanism to suit me. One cloud should be enough. Then I bung all my data on it from whichever app I want to bung it on.

So in short - I can get from Camera to iPhone easily. I can get from iPhone to PC easily - but at such a cost that I'm not going to do it. What a shame.

Experiment over. I'll probably come up with another workflow that involves no Adobe software but tagging my JPGs and using the XML sidecar files and then import them back to Lightroom. Messy. And should not be needed!

Oh well.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines