• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I delete old backups of Lightroom Classic catalog to save storage space on my disk ?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have set the settings of my LrC version such, that it saves a backup of the catalogue each time I am closing the program. Today, I have noticed by chance, that these backups occupy a substiantial amount of disk space in course of time. Do I need the old copies of the catalogue (i.e. files of the type "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat") or can I delete them ?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course you could delete some of them. How many? That's up to you. How much risk do you want to take?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated, yes, delete all/any you desire. But keep in mind, that this is only a backup of your catalog. Not all the other important data that needs to be backed up like presets, profiles, and most importantly, your images! You might want to follow a real and robust backup schema that backs up all the data you cannot afford to lose, then turn OFF this catalog backup that isn't very effective. On Mac, there's Time Machine, but maybe better is something like SuperDuper (very inexpensive) that can back up everything, every day, (or night) automatically while you're sleeping. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding: these backups should not be on the same disk as the working catalog. If they are on the same disk, change this immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a stupid question: How change the location of the backup for the catalog ? I have tried to find it but did not succeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please disregard my last question. I have just found the way to change it. Thanks for your feedback nevertheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines