• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can i increase the quality of the photos which i provide in an downloadable public album?

Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After editing my photos in lightroom classic, i collect them into an album and publish that as public album, where friends etc. who want fotos can download them.  For most appliactions the size is OK, but for some it could be better/bigger. Is there a way, how i can increase the size of the files or even provide the originals?

Thanks for your help in advance!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you making this "public album"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just collect fotos to an album, click on public, it creates a link and provide it to friends etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just collect fotos to an album, click on public, it creates a link and provide it to friends etc.

By @user3756666

Are you talking about Lightroom Classic? If so, the quality is what it is, you cannot adjust the quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you subscribe to a photo sharing portal like SmugMug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, i just collect fotos to an album, click on public, create a link and provide it to friends etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You collect to an album, please walk us through your workflow, step by step, screenshots will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After editing my photos in lightroom classic, i collect them into an album and publish that as public album, where friends etc. who want fotos can download them.  For most appliactions the size is OK, but for some it could be better/bigger. Is there a way, how i can increase the size of the files or even provide the originals?

The problem is that if you are just using Lightroom Classic to share your images via the Adobe Cloud, then you need to be aware that Classic only uploads smart previews of those images to the cloud. Smart Previews are 2560 pixels on the long edge, which is generally OK for viewing online, but can be an issue if the viewer wants to download them. IIRC, the downloaded images are only 2048 pixels on the long edge.

To get originals to the cloud, they have to be imported via any of the Lightroom ecosystem apps (Lightroom Desktop, Lightroom Mobile or Lightroom Web). When the originals are then uploaded and shared, the subsequent download by the viewer will be the full cropped resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit: i am confused. I now downloaded the lightroom (desktop) app and just found that all my collections beeing sychronised to the cloud?! Is that the case? And if i now want to share an collection via link – will the download be automatically in a bigger size?

What i am looking for is a portfolio solution; i have been asked to provide a local newspaper with fotos from sports events, so it has to be fast and with the possibilty of nameing/tagging photos.

My normal workflow woul be now: first import fotos from sd card from the camera in photomechanic, because it is very fast and i can choose to import previously tagged fotos. Then i can name persons in photomechanic and then import the fotos into lightroom classic, adjust colors and then collect them into collections and provide that link with small solution fotos to the newspaper. It would be ideal to have 1. the photos in a bigger size and 2. a possibility for the newspaper to search the photos for certain players, events, teams etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why you would be surprised that all your synced collections are in the cloud. Where else would they be to allow third-parties to view them? If you are using the Public/Private link option in LrC that requires that the collections are uploaded to the cloud, in order to give other users access to them.

No, simply downloading and installing the Lightroom Desktop app by itself changes nothing...your images in the cloud are still smart previews only. You can get Lightroom to change them to originals, but that's not a simple thing. So before going there you might want to rethink your approach. Album sharing via Lightroom is great for some things, but I doubt very much that sports journalists would be using the Adobe cloud to get their images quickly to the publishers. That's partly for speed but also because the "client" tools for searching aren't there yet. However, I'm not a sports journalist so I really can't advise you on what solutions they use, hopefully someone will drop by soon with a better answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah i see, i was just confused that in the screenshot i posted lightroom desktop offered me the possibility to export in original size – but i tried it, and, as you said, it is still the small size jpgs. So i think, like you suggested, i will need an other "portfolio" solution to offer the photos to the client...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit: i am confused. I now downloaded the lightroom (desktop) app and just found that all my collections beeing sychronised to the cloud?! Is that the case? And if i now want to share an collection via link – will the download be automatically in a bigger size?

What i am looking for is a portfolio solution; i have been asked to provide a local newspaper with fotos from sports events, so it has to be fast and with the possibilty of nameing/tagging photos.

My normal workflow woul be now: first import fotos from sd card from the camera in photomechanic, because it is very fast and i can choose to import previously tagged fotos. Then i can name persons in photomechanic and then import the fotos into lightroom classic, adjust colors and then collect them into collections and provide that link with small solution fotos to the newspaper. It would be ideal to have 1. the photos in a bigger size and 2. a possibility for the newspaper to search the photos for certain players, events, teams etc.

By @user3756666

Please state clearly what software you are using. Is it Lightroom or Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@user3756666, in your opening post you refer to Lightroom Classic and now in your most recent post you refer to Lightroom for desktop, they are two different applications the major difference Lightroom Classic uploads Smart-Previews to the Adobe Creative Cloud storage these files do not affect you storage allocation, the Lightroom desktop application will uploaded original copies to the Cloud storage. See the link below for more info,

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

The original files will utilize your Cloud storage allocation, the Photograpy Plan which includes Lightroom Classic, Lightroom and Photoshop has a 20GB storage capacity so you need to decide if you will need additional storage it's available at $9.99 per month per 1TB.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. As lightroom queen says: its quite confusing 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ask the newspaper about how they recommend or even demand that is accomplished. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines