• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I remove the hierarchical keyword structure on all my photos to match a flat LrC keyword list?

Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing keyword hierarchical structures over time have left my images with different keyword structures. Everytime older images are imported into LrC their keywords and hierarchial structure are added to my LrC keyword list, filling it with duplicates and crazy hierarchical structures. I can change it to a flat list, but are not sure how to ensure all image keyword metadata follows suit? I want my LrC keyword list to change the photo keyword structure, not have the photo modify my Keyword list. What is the eaiest way to do this? LrC 12.2.1, mac Ventura OS.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

In the keyword list, just drag the subkeywords out of the hierarchy. The metadata will follow suit automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the keyword list, just drag the subkeywords out of the hierarchy. The metadata will follow suit automatically.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan W. Elzenga, I can see this as being a way to do away with a hierarchy structure all together. That way having duplicates created can be avoided. Perhaps I can make better use of keyword suggestion sets to add many related keywords to a batch of photos in a single action. Most of the keywords I tag photos with are for other library users benefit... cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no easy, safe way to do it except by dragging and dropping as Johan says. I'd recommend leaving things as they are, and tidying up the keyword list gradually, always in LR and using your eyeballs and common sense.

"Everytime older images are imported into LrC"

Why every time? Maybe bring them all in now, and as above tidy up the keyword list over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks John Beardsworth. I initially applied LrC to one task—managing one library of photos. I then expanded its application to manage another library, then another. Each expansion involved imports at different times. I will consider managing my whole workflow and all libraries through LrC very soon. It just takes time to get skilled up first... cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines