• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't export videos in original format as getting error 'assertion failed' Lr Classic 9.1

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to export videos in original format (if you ask why, I make the selection of the videos in lightroom, colour-tag them and then export them), but I always get the error "assertion failed". If I rename them it still doesn't work, it only works if I change the format, which I don't like (the original are  some .mov and some .mts files, if I try only with .mov I get the same error).

This is my software/hardware:

I'm working with Lightroom CC 9.1 and MacOS 10

Lightroom Classic version: 9.1 [ 201911291132-64cf80b4 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-GB
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.15.2 [19C57]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3,8 GHz
Built-in memory: 8.192,0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 8.192,0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1.206,1 MB (14,7%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 12.773,6 MB
Memory cache size: 361,9MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.1 [ 351 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 3
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1270MB / 4095MB (31%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1306MB / 8192MB (15%)
Displays: 1) 5120x2880, 2) 1920x1080

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 580

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

So, I actually got this to work just now.  For others, I also had a symptom of the Creative Cloud app not updating with an error 184 which said a file was locked.  

I tried changing the My Pictures location in the registry, changing file permission all to no success, lightroom would not export video as originals. 

Following leads here I did create a new Win 10 Administrator account, "lightroom" and then logged into the creative cloud app in the new account.  For the first time in many months, cr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that you're getting an error "assertion failed" while exporting a video from Lightroom Classic 9.1. This issue occurs when Lightroom do not have required permissions while processing a file. Please checkout the solution mentioned in this article https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/kb/user-permissions-issues.html and give read/write permissions to the required folders. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer Akash,

it can't be a permissions issue, because when I export the videos to the same folder with a processing option (DPX or H.264) it works just OK. I get the error when I try to export the original, unedited file.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i have the same problems here. Is there any solution right now?

Best regards, Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me, is there any solution right now ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the upgrade of macOS there were some changes made in the Privacy and Security areas. Go to Apple System Preferences > Privacy and Security. ake sure Lightroom Classic has all the permissions necessary for files and folders. See the screen capture. Also, update to the latest version of Catalina 10.15.4.

Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 9.21.20 PM.jpg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic home user here, same problem as described with no solution in comments.  Seems like a relatively new topic thread so thought I would comment.  Only difference, I have Win 10 updated as of now.  

I simply want to sort my video in Lightroom in collections, then export the collection from my data storage device to my SSD so I can edit them in PPro.  It works great for stills.  I want to just keep the original video, no edits, no options or trims required.  A basic copy and paste after the time I spent sorting.  Now, I have to find each file in windows explorer and copy it, or choose the H.264 export which I don't want at this point in my work flow.

I tried looking at permissions and the registry value of USERS\Pictures linked above so not sure why  I can't use the option listed in the export dialogue to copy my video clips from my hard drives to my SSD on my Desktop, without a video re-encode?

Error when selecting "Original" on imageError when selecting "Original" on image

Error "Assertion Failed" when I assumed I could sort videos in lightroom and copy them to a different driveError "Assertion Failed" when I assumed I could sort videos in lightroom and copy them to a different drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the very last option in export dialog what option do you have chosen there?

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 11.44.37 AM.pngTry, Do nothing. 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I actually got this to work just now.  For others, I also had a symptom of the Creative Cloud app not updating with an error 184 which said a file was locked.  

I tried changing the My Pictures location in the registry, changing file permission all to no success, lightroom would not export video as originals. 

Following leads here I did create a new Win 10 Administrator account, "lightroom" and then logged into the creative cloud app in the new account.  For the first time in many months, creative cloud was able to update the app without a 184 error.  

Further, the Lightroom Video export as Original was able to export as I wanted it to without the error.

There certainly seem to be some file permissions errors in my main windows profile preventing Lightroom Classic and the CC App to update properly.  I have no idea what they are or how to fix.  Pretty basic install here. 

My workaround will be to use this new account for my video exports and then go back to my main profile to do Premiere Pro edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for prompt reply.  After further testing I have been reproducing error on my end at least.  This is not do to a file lock or an Administrator account, I was able to make it work or not work in all accounts.

After creating 2 new admin accounts and having the export work fine for both video and stills, I then made changes to the export options and had the error crept back in. After further testing, I believe there to be a bug in the way this export works.

I could reproduce this as follows. Select some stills and video clips to export, select the Image Export options to "Limit File Size to" option. I used 1500 and 2000 in my tests. This resulted in the attached error when the video was selected as original.

I believe this to be an error because if you have selected "Original File" for video export you don't expect it to make a difference on the still options, such as JPG or Limit File Size.

Selecting or Unselecting the "Limit File Size" checkbox will make the video export fail or be successful.

Further, if you do a batch of stills and do use the Limit file Size to __, it does work just fine for stills only. If you select a video file, the option is now grayed out and you can't deselect it , making the video error. You have to select a still to change the Limit File Size option.

Version as of writing Windows 10Version as of writing Windows 10Ascertain Error seen when exporting videoAscertain Error seen when exporting videoGreyed out options will create video errors, need to select a still to de-select the file size limitGreyed out options will create video errors, need to select a still to de-select the file size limit

Options Greyed out above , must select a still and then export to change the option checkbox.

Selecting/checking the File Size Limit for  JPG Exports results in video export assertion errorsSelecting/checking the File Size Limit for JPG Exports results in video export assertion errors

From the above export I am able to make the video export fail, if I deselect the "Limit File Size To" and kept everything else the same, then the export of stills and video (original size) was successful.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To avoid asscrtion error, seen below, when exporting original unedited video clips are exported.

Reproducable error seen when option is selected, vs not selected (exports successfully).

Capture3.JPG

Make sure Limit File Size To: is unchecked.

Capture2.JPG

Close up of problematic option.

Make sure this is not selected to avoid error.Make sure this is not selected to avoid error.

Make sure Limit File Size To: is unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this. But Alas, no luck here. Windows 10 and been having problems exporting video form LT classid for a long while. Getting VERY frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on Mac.

Figured out solution. On export setting, for PICTURE, make sure format is set to original. Then for VIDEO, you can set format to original, and it will export. However, when i switched PICTURE export format to JPEG - even though i was only exporting a video - i got again the assertion failed error message

Folder access was not a problem in my case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was the silver bullet for me - even though I was NOT exporting any pictures, I NEEDED the picture export format to also be ORIGINAL along with the Video export format to be ORIGINAL (see image).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines