• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import a jpeg file into lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked a jpeg file to import into Lightroom Classic from the harddrive of my Windows PC. I clicked import. The import button greys out and that is it. The file doesn't import. Any ideas what could be wrong? I did this a few months ago and it worked. It doesn't seem to work now. Thank you.

[moved from bug to discussions space by Mod.]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem from time to time where LRC just stalls and doesn't import the selected photo(s). Closing and re-opening LTC seems to fix the problem for me.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I tried that and it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show some screenshots of what you are seeing. There are many possible reasons why the import button would be greyed oout. One is that the image is already in the library. Another is that the destination volume is not available so had to tell what is going on. Best advice is to carefully check what you are doing for import (Add, move, copy, etc.), is the destination place what you want to do, etc.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went into Adobe Light room desktop after not being able to load in lightroom Classic and saw the photo I wanted. But I need to get it into the Classic version. I saw the error message below in the non-classic version of Lightroom. But can't figure out how to connect the data it is referring to. Also notice the cloud has an exclamation next to it. It looks like things are not synching for me. I tried to add the image and tried to add it in different destinations with the same results.

michaelp20362237_0-1665884732750.png

The jpeg I was trying to load is new. I never tried to load it before.it is only 4,742KB. I clicked import and the import just greyed out and never loaded. 

michaelp20362237_1-1665884732752.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The drive where you are storing your images is apparently disconnected. This is why it is refusing to sync. It is either called DATA or there is a folder on that drive that is called DATA. Can you check the preferences in Lightroom Desktop? Look for the local storage tab and what it says at the bottom of that dialog. You should see a storage location path and a browse button. It is likely pointing to an non-existent location.

For the Classic problem, you are likely logged out of creative cloud. Go to the creative cloud app and log back in. If you are logged in there, log out and log back in. If that doesn't work, reboot your computer, make sure you are logged into creative cloud. Start Classic while holding the Alt and Shift buttons and reset your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I was able to fix the synching with the Lightroom Desktop. After synching the photo appeared in Lightroom Classic. I still cannot get Lightroom Classic to import a photo directly after following your instruction below. But the workaround of loading in the other version of Lightroom Desktop and then synching solves my problem.

Does Adobe provide a service where they could remote into my computer and fix my situation? Actually, I have a second thing I would like to accomplish. I have a C hard drive with limited space (approximately 40GB free) and a D hard drive with plenty of space ( 476GB free space). Is there a safe way to get Lightroom to move photos and all corresponding metadata to the D drive? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import might be blocked because of the too full system harddrive. You can just move your entire catalog and associated image over to the D drive.  Just move both the catalog file and the images over there. You might need to reconnect the images by right clicking on a top-level folder in the lightroom browser (left panel) and selecting "find missing folder". On subsequent import, you should make sure the correct destination on D is selected. If you are more of a visual learner, here is an explanation: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/move-photos-another-hard-drive-leaving-catalog/ Only difference is that after that you would still also move your catalog file and previews database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for all your help and suggestions so far! I freed up 100 GB on my C drive and still couldn't load the photo. Then I tried moving the file from the Documents folder on the C drive to a subfolder under Documents and it loaded fine. So, now I know how to fix this. But I still wonder why it wouldn't load from the Documents folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines