• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't locate photos after moving catalogue to Hard Drive

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom catalogue was taking up 180GB on my computer, leaving me without any memory on my laptop. I moved everything under the Lightroom folder onto an external hard drive, thinking this would be an easy solution. I instantly freed up space and my laptop was working again. However, when I open Lightroom CC and attempt to open any catalogue from the various saved backups, harldy any photos load, and all show as "cannot locate." Even when I attempt to "find missing photos," I cannot link any catalogue to the backups, despite having multiple saved. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if I've somehow made a huge mistake by simply "moving" the folders on to the hard drive? Help!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a look here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-acces...

and see if it helps.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the solution from @AxelMatt doesn't help, you need to explain this part in much more detail.

Even when I attempt to "find missing photos," I cannot link any catalogue to the backups,

What backups are you referring to? What did you do, step-by-step, in detail? What happened? Describe in detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's important to understand the difference between the Lightroom catalog and your actual photos. The photos are not in the catalog but are kept separately in a place you told Lightroom to store them. 

If the photos are actually in the Lightroom folder that you moved, you'll need to connect the folders within the Lightroom app itself (Folders panel) to the new location. When you "Find Missing Photos," you need to point Lightroom to the new location. This is an easy process if you have one top level folder on the hard drive containing all the sub folders with your photos. Just reconnect the top level folder and all should be well. If you have many top level folders, you'll have to reconnect every one of them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines