Exit

Can't open catalog after upgrading to latest win10

Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to update Lightroom... tried to roll back to v10, v10.1 and v10.1.1

Nothing works and it's frustrationg.

Checked the permissions, reinstalled VisualStudio, ran LrC as admin... nothing works.

I have loads of photos in this catalog.

Can anyone think of a solution?

Why is this even happening??

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of Lightroom are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently running 10.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to update Lightroom... tried to roll back to v10, v10.1 and v10.1.1

Nothing works and it's frustrationg.

And what exactly happens when you try to update Lightroom Classic? What is the exact error message?

How does this relate to your title which is about not being able to open catalogs?

And from your title, what exact version number of Win 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing happens, it updates or in my case rolls back, and the same is happening: failing to open catalog for unknown reason.

After the OS update I was unable to open the catalogs, so I've tried to update, and it didn't help... still cant open the catalog.

The win10 that I've updated to is 20H2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the EXACT word-for-word error message?

It might be that your catalog is corrupted, and you should try opening a recent backup copy of the catalog. But really, providing the EXACT word-for-word error message is critical here to figuring out what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, I've currently rolled back to the previos OS version, hopfully it will help... but it's still not openning the catalog 😞

System Info:

Lightroom Classic version: 10.2 [ 202103041821-226a1211 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.18363
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.4 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 32708.2 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32708.2 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 578.3 MB (1.7%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 519.6 MB
GDI objects count: 680
USER objects count: 2016
Process handles count: 1748
Memory cache size: 0.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.2 [ 738 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 3
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 0MB / 16354MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 0MB / 32708MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (27.21.14.6647)

Application folder: F:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: F:\Lightroom\Catalogs\11082021\11082021.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\vadim_000\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) ColorChecker Camera Calibration
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

/EDIT/I MISSED THE STATEMENT I've currently rolled back to the previos OS version, So below may not apply

Following may not apply, see Edit above

From your posted Sys Info

Version: 10.0.18363

First issue, OS version, that info, 10.0.18363 is actual version 1909 Build 18363 (it is a LrC oddity on how it reports WIN 10). See  (ref 1)  ,

so

The win10 that I've updated to is 20H2.

Incorrect. version 20H2 would be Build 19042

Now LrC v10.3, actual current version has a System requirement, in terms of Windows OS, of v 1903 (Build 18362) or later. so you should be Ok.

However, you thought you had 20H2 , so what gives? Is your OS system reporting v20G2, but LrC reports older?

Check your computer for updates, check your computer for current OS version. Is the OS up to date? Does the OS and LrC disagree on OS version?

(ref 1) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2nd issue

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (27.21.14.6647)

So, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with driver version 466.47 (release date  2021.5.18), Nice card, fully LrC compatable, works nicely with the option to use graphics processir. BUT, current version at NVIDIA is v 471.68 (release date 2021.8.10)  (ref 1)     (ahhh released yesterday, I better go and check my 1070 Ti) 

You should have a NVIDIA utility called GeForce Experience, use it to check your driver and to update your driver, select Custom install type as to force a clean install. The clean install will remove any old crud left around from previous installs.

(ref 1) : GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aggggg, my bad

Ok, why are you rolling back OS version, highly unlikely the OS version has caused your problem, Lots and lots of community members would have the issue if that was true. I would have the issue if true.

Why are you rolling back LrC? An unexpected error is unlikely to be a bug in a update. 

Standard Adobe Support documentation on troubleshooting , example (ref 1)  ,normally starts with initial steps of checking that your OS is up to date, and LrC up to date, and GPU driver up to date, not rolling back.

How about starting this discussion over again. Starting with, updating the OS so any improvements, any security threats, any bugs, are remedied, And uodating LrC ti v10.3 (admittedly, most fixes in 10.3 apply to Apple M1) , and updating that GPU driver.

And should that not help, as an unexpected error could be due to a catalog corruption issue. Create a new catalog, test the new catalog. Does that new catalog have the same problem?

(ref 1): Adobe | Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, thank you for the  patience and the support! 

I've updated everything: LrC, OS, GPU.

Still non of my catalogs are openning, except the new one I've made...

And i'ts all started when I've updated my OS.

Here is the new sys info:

Lightroom Classic version: 10.3 [ 202105281559-8dc50eb4 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Version: 10.0.19043
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.4GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 32708.2 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32708.2 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 704.0 MB (2.1%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 786.5 MB
GDI objects count: 697
USER objects count: 2011
Process handles count: 1821
Memory cache size: 0.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.3 [ 807 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 3
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 0MB / 16354MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 0MB / 32708MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 1920x1080, 2) 1920x1200
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (30.0.14.7168)

Application folder: F:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: F:\Lightroom\Catalogs\11082021\11082021.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\vadim_000\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) ColorChecker Camera Calibration
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Nikon Tether Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try opening a recent backup of your catalog file(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't done backups... but I've managed to establish which was the last catalog I've been using, i'ts in the backup folder... And it wont open:

vadimm888_0-1628859557389.png

vadimm888_1-1628859601988.png

By the size of the files (5.2GB) I know it's the right one...

Is there any way to retrieve the data even if the *lrcat wont open? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No backups ... wow ... unfortunate decision. I suggest from now on that you make regular and automated backups of all of your important documents (not just the Lightroom Classic catalog and photos) and store the backups on a different drive than the originals.

What is the modification date of this file? How do you know 5.2GB is correct? Have you used your operating system's search engine to find all files on all disks, whose name contains LRCAT?

I don't know any way of recovering the data from the catalog if it won't open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's the last one because when I try to sync from the cloud I get this messege:

vadimm888_0-1628863918327.png

So I'm sure that the v10 is the last catalog I've used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not following your logic, you said you know because of the size 5.2GB.

Repeating my earlier question:

Have you used your operating system's search engine to find all files on all disks, whose name contains LRCAT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that you have three versions of that catalog:

• Lightroom Catalog-2.lrcat
  • Lightroom Catalog-2-2.lrcat
  • Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10.lrcat

Looking at thise catalog listings, backwards in time, A catalog that got created at v10 upgradee, a upgraded copy. The catalog, pre v10 upgrade, A older one, perhaps a v9 upgrade, and the oldest one, perhaps a pre v9 original.

You appear to be having a post v10.00 problem, that is to say, that v10 catalog previously worked, but now fails at v10.3 update.

So, did that catalog get corrupted? Would opening a older one behave differently? Yes this should result in creation of a new upgraded catalog, yes this will present a catalog missing newer work. But will an experiment give clues?

Mind you, this would be a lot better yo do with a proper backup, but..

For an experiment, copy the pre v10 one, giving it a new name, this one

Lightroom Catalog-2-2.lrcat

Reccomend a copy with new name as to protect the old catalog.  Double click on it. see what happens. Yes, you will loose lots of work, This first experiment is not necessarily about a remedy, or even a work around.

Reason to experiment with a copy, is to not endanger the original.

Reason to test with older catalog, is the newest one, v10, might be corrupt. And heck, you have tried multiple times to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried rolling back to previous version of LR and none opened the v10 catalog..

When you suggest to make a copy? you mean for all the folders coming with *.lrcat or just the *.lrcat itself?

Because only the v10 has enough folders along it, the other two has only one folder each:

vadimm888_0-1628974030224.png

While the v10 has also the preview folders...

The reason for the mess is because I was using lightroom for a along time before I fully understood how it works, which happend in the recent year and half only, where I've already had everything in this one catalog...

I guess if none of the solutions will work, I'll make a lemonade out of the lemon... and start a fresh catalog in a different location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The files ending with .lrcat are the catalogs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'ts in the backup folder

Curious 

Why are you storing anything other than backups in the backup folder? Logic escapes me, That can only cause confusion when communicating with others,

P.S. when you eventually create backups, do not place them on the same hard drive as the originals. A backup placed on the same hard drive as the originals is useless when that hard drive fails. External removable drives are great fir backups. And remember, backup catalogs AND photos, those are separate backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines