• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open images from Lightroom into Photoshop

Participant ,
Feb 06, 2022 Feb 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Recently I’ve been having problems opening images from Lightroom into Photoshop. Sometimes the Photoshop window will open, but there’s no image there; other times nothing happens. Today, I tried to open two images as layers in Photoshop (Edit in> open as layers in PS 2022) and got “Could not open 1234.orf because of a disk error.” I opened both files from my desktop directly into Photoshop with no problem, so there’s nothing wrong with the files.

I uninstalled both PS & LR, restarted my computer, and reinstalled both apps. It made no difference. Again, I got the error message.

While I occasionally had this problem before, it’s gotten worse since I installed Catalina (10.15.7) on my iMac (2017, 64GB), which I did only because the new version of LR woudn’t work with Mojave.

I'd love to know what to do to solve this. Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reinstall Photoshop first, then Lightroom Classic? That's usually the fix.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did actually, just by luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything to no avail. I just updated both PS (1st) & LR and still have the same problem. I'm disappointed that no one else has offered any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem. It's a typical workflow for me--most work is done in LRC, then edit in PS to remove a few spots or branch. Now I get the message can't open file because of a disc error. Both PS and LRC are up to date. I have not reinstalled either. Does anyone have a solution? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember what I did to remedy this situation, but here's a thought to try: In your Creative Cloud app, go to the section that lists your Adobe apps and whether they are up to date or have an update. Click the ellipsis at the far right of Lightroom and choose "Older Versions" from the list. Install the version before the one you have installed now and see if you have the same problem. If you don't, I'd try unistalling the latest version that gave you the problem, then reinstalling it. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion, mclynn2. I just did this, but still get the message could not open because of a disc error. So I followed the same steps for Photoshop, to the previous version from my current one in use. Then from LRC I tried to edit in PS. Same error message. Any other ideas? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at a loss. When it happened to me, out of frustration I just noted the file name in LR, then went to the actual folder on my HD, and opened the image directly into Photoshop. I did that a few times. Like I said before, I can't remember what actually fixed the problem, but if I come across any notes, I'll let you know. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is a way to edit the image in PS, and I have done it. (and will now as well.) But I sure do miss the ease of--edits in LRC, then a touch of PS, then close it, back to LRC and there it is, all touched up. Cumbersome & takes more time. But thanks so much for getting back to me. I'm hoping for that miraculous fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had another thought. When you uninstalled LR & PS, did you use the Uninstaller or just trash the app? If you just trashed it, I'm pretty sure that it leaves the preferences in your computer files. If that's the case, try deleting the prefs (note what they are before you do so you can easily reconstruct them). In case you don't know how to do that, here's an article that might help: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what others have advised, please be aware of the following article at the link below. Provide full disk access for both LrC and Photoshop.

:magnifying_glass_tilted_right: Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Li... - Adobe Support Co...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you DdeGannes. I followed these tips, for LRC, then for Adobe CC, and then for PS, restarted a couple of times, and that solved my problem. I'm now able to work in LRC, then "edit in PS", do my edits, save a copy and it saves to my folder where the original file is, close it in PS, go back to LRC, and it's there as a psd. I'm thrilled. Thank you so very much. LC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines