Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open Lightroom Folders from my Time machine Backup

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to open a Folder from my Backup and get the following message:

"The Lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder “/Volumes/BACKUP/Backups.backupdb/Eion's New Macbook Pro/2019-07-19-164526/Macintosh HD/Users/eioncoulthard/Pictures/My Lightroom Photos/Highland Tour 2017” does not allow files to be created within it"

Can anyone advise how to fix. My permissions is set to "read and write"

Thanks

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy the catalog file to some place else where you have WRITE permission (such as your pictures folder). Try opening it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works - yippee!!

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably a macOS limitation you will not be able to get around. The path shows that the folder is still within the Time Machine backup. But Apple locks down everything inside a Time Machine backup (Backups.backupdb). Other than Time Machine, no application can break that open for writing. This is to protect the integrity of the backup, especially for Time Machine backup volumes formatted as HFS+ (the older standard) where it is notoriously easy for those to get corrupted.

The solution is to copy whatever you want to use to a normal location outside of /Volumes/BACKUP/Backups.backupdb .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See reply to answer 1

Many thanks

Eion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines