• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open Nikon D7500 RAW files in Lightroom 5.7, why

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom 5.7 and I have Adobe RAW plug-in 9.12 installed and I have a Nikon 7500 shooting RAW NEF file and I can't open NEF files. WHY?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Very simple. You cannot update Lightroom with the camera raw plug-in. All of the camera raw technology is part of the Lightroom program, and the only way to get an update is to update the program. Unfortunately, there isn't a free update for Lightroom 5 that will give you direct support for the NEF files from that camera model. You can, however, download the free DNG converter from Adobe and use it to create DNG copies of your NEF files that can be opened with Lightroom 5.7. You cannot use the D

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple. You cannot update Lightroom with the camera raw plug-in. All of the camera raw technology is part of the Lightroom program, and the only way to get an update is to update the program. Unfortunately, there isn't a free update for Lightroom 5 that will give you direct support for the NEF files from that camera model. You can, however, download the free DNG converter from Adobe and use it to create DNG copies of your NEF files that can be opened with Lightroom 5.7. You cannot use the DNG conversion technology built into the Lightroom that you have because it will only convert to DNG if it already supports the native raw files. Or, you can purchase Lightroom 6, which will support the NEF files from your camera if you apply the updates that have been made available for Lightroom 6. Understand however that Lightroom 6 .14 is the final update for that version and there will be no more updates ever and there will not be another upgrade to the standalone Lightroom. The other alternative would be to subscribe to the Creative Cloud photography plan, $9.99/month in the US, includes the latest Lightroom and Photoshop, and will have the best support for the Nikon D7500.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim, I have been using the DNG conversion program for a long time

now to convert my NEF files.

I just thought I could eleminate that step in my process.

Thanks

Gene Moretti.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really isn't a bad choice if you are determined to stay with Lightroom 5.7. I did it once a long time ago. I used the DNG converter as my download software. I selected the SD card & folder as the source, and then selected a folder on the hard drive as the destination, and let the DNG converter do the conversion as it transferred the files from the card to the folder on the hard drive. It worked quite well. Lightroom 5.7 was a good version. However, I really like Lightroom Classic CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the NikonD7500 today and had issued.  Installed the latest Nikon Transfer software and it worked perfectly  Lightroom recognizes files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are very fortunate that Lightroom recognizes the files after using Nikon Transfer. I have routinely recommended NOT using that utility to copy images because it has often rendered the images not readable by Lightroom. There really isn't any magical transfer in Nikon Transfer. It is just as effective and just as efficient and fast to do it in Lightroom. But if you choose to risk using something different that is your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines