• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you export a series of photos with entirely different filenames?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have about 200 employee photos that I'd like to export at once -- but with their exported filenames to be the person's actual name?

Is there some kind of spreadsheet mail-merge or script feature that can do this? Exporting one by one and manually typing in the name is a huge pain in the A.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you are talking about Lightroom Classic. Please confirm.

In Lightroom Classic, metadata can be used in the name of the exported file. I don't know if you can limit this to just people's names, I have never tried.

There is a plug-in called Mogrify which allows you to have some of the metadata showing on the exported photo, like a watermark. I don't know if you can limit this to just people's names, I have never tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the name of the person is a keyword, then you can rename the image on export to get keyword(s) as filename.

1 2022-10-25 19-43-16.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But wouldn't that just apply the same word to every single filename? I want every exported file to have a unique name.

I have a feeling what I'm looking for doesn't exist.

I have a spreadsheet with 200 names -- with the camera's default filename also typed into the row.

For example: Smith, John > DSC00012.

The folder of images is then imported into Lightroom Classic library.

After doctoring photos, can I export all 200 images at once -- but using the spreadsheet to name each DSC file differently?

Thank you all for you help -- I suspect this feature doesn't exist. Pity. This seems like something Photographers would be ranting about for years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But wouldn't that just apply the same word to every single filename? I want every exported file to have a unique name.

Not at all, it would create a filename for the exported image which consists of the data held in the selected field of the catalog for the specific image being exported. So a single keyword for each image, which is the name of the specific individual in the image, would see the filename of the exported file consisting of the specific keyword (i.e. the individual's name).

Any suitable metadata field would suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know as to how you would get spreadsheet data into LrC, but- My thoughts:

If you were to add each persons name as a 'Caption' in LrC metadata, then a rename preset could use the Caption, and a reference to the original filename to make each new exported file have a unique filename-

2022-11-03 06_26_45-Filename Template Editor.jpg  2022-11-03 06_31_16-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm sure that would work.

Though, the idea is to NOT have to type in every single name.
I might as well just export, and individually rename each file in Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would you link a photo to a name without typing that name at least once, somewhere?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, with the Spreadsheet and LrC both on screen- Copy and Paste (Mouse select [Ctrl+C] ) names from the SS to LrC 'Caption' field [Ctrl+V] (and later use my Rename Preset suggestion). No typing needed.

If more that one photo is the same person you can 'paste' the copied name in [Caption] to several selected photos at once.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He'd still have to type the names to get that spreadsheet...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, agree.  Names have to be created 'somewhere'. I assumed the SS list existed from the post- "I have a spreadsheet with 200 names"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post withdrawn.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines