• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot access my LR Catalog

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! It was any ordinary day, uploading photos as usual to LR, then all of a sudden it gave me an error which I then exited my Lightroom. I've now tried to open LR again from my catalog which always opens at start up.. it won't open and I'm getting an error message which says '....cannot be opened because another application has it opened - quit the other copy of Lightroom before trying to launch' 

I have no clue what this means, as nothing else is open 😞

I also got another error message saying 'expected error opening catalog' this is all stressing me out as I am not super tech savvy! I really need to use this catalog - rather then starting a new one! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! THANK YOU!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

No worries, this is easy to fix. Open your catalog folder and look for a file 'Catalogname.lrcat.lock. Trash it and restart Lightroom Classic. Lightroom creates this file to stop other apps from opening the catalog at the sane time. It deletes it on a normal quit, but if Lightroom crashes this file can remain.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, this is easy to fix. Open your catalog folder and look for a file 'Catalogname.lrcat.lock. Trash it and restart Lightroom Classic. Lightroom creates this file to stop other apps from opening the catalog at the sane time. It deletes it on a normal quit, but if Lightroom crashes this file can remain.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much for your reply - I read a few people having the same issue - I can see the folder with the .lock on the end but I'm terrified to delete anything... and this most definitely solves the issue?? 😛 I panic at any sight of 'error' messages, haha, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can safely delete the lock file, but don't delete anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems I have 3x .lock files.. do I delete all 3???🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There can only be one 'catalogname.lrcat.lock' file. Look at the entire file name, not just at the extension. The two other files may be old files that could be deleted too, but they are irrelevant for your current problem.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines