Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Delete Missing Folders

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a hard drive that I am no longer using, and it has around 900K images. I am trying to delete the entire folder from the catalog, and every time I right click the "remove" folder, which is missing, my LR seems to freeze. Is there another way or method of removing large folders?

Thank you,

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If folder is indicated as missing, then LrC has no access to it, hence not being able to remove it.

Try reconnecting the hard drive to give LrC access to the folder. You should now be able to remove the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer have access to the missing hard drive. I am looking to remove it from the side bar. Is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If folder is indicated as missing, then LrC has no access to it, hence not being able to remove it.

Try reconnecting the hard drive to give LrC access to the folder. You should now be able to remove the folder.

By @Ian Lyons

I don't think that is true. Removing a folder from Lightroom Classic simply means removing its entry from the catalog (database). Lightroom does not need to have access to the folder to do that (I just tried it and I can remove a missing folder just fine). The problem may be that this folder contains 900K images, and these images will also be removed from the catalog. Removing 900,000 database records will take time, so perhaps it's just a matter of giving it time...

The question of course is if you really want to remove 900K images from the catalog! If you don't, then do not try to remove the folder, but 'reconnect' it: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photos-missing-fix/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I figured as much with the prior message not being accurate.

I think the answer to giving it time is the solution. I was/am hoping to find ways to streamline this, though, as it is very time-consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@JohanElzenga 

You are correct, my bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines