Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot find file->open to open existing catalog

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just purchased Lightroom Classic and the instructions for opening a catalog say to go to file->open but when I view the "file" menu, all that I see is "add photos" and no "open" is listed on the file menu. I have tried to use that and it looks like all my photos are syncing up to the cloud. How do I get to "file -> open" to open an old catalog from Lightroom 6?

Please help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File->Open Catalog

Are you sure you are using Lightroom Classic and not Lightroom? What exact software are you using, and what exact version number? Show us a screen capture (use the "Insert Photos" icon, do not attach files)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

GoldingD_0-1624295104092.jpeg

GoldingD_1-1624295104093.png

GoldingD_2-1624295104094.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions. I have taken a closer look and it appears that I purchased/installed Lightroom and not Lightroom Classic. 

I was confused because the Lightroom (non-classic) plan is the same price as the Lightroom Classic plan, but the Lightroom non-classic incudes 1TB of cloud storage, while the Lightroom Classic plan only includes 20GB. I am considering just staying with the normal, non-classic version of Lightroom. My question is, why are both plans the same price when it seems the non-classic plan with 1TB gives you more? I am afraid that if I stick with the 1TB non-classic plan, I might end up missing features from the classic plan even though both are the same price?

Thanks for your help so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I have switched my plan from non-classic lightroom to Lightroom classic with the photography bundle. Thanks for your help hopefully this does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is, why are both plans the same price when it seems the non-classic plan with 1TB gives you more? I am afraid that if I stick with the 1TB non-classic plan, I might end up missing features from the classic plan even though both are the same price?

This is what Adobe decided, we are not Adobe in this forum, we are just Lightroom Classic users. My guesses are:

1. There are more features in LR Classic than LR, you are paying for the extra features
  2. LR (not classic, but cloud) involves storing ALL of your photos in the cloud, and so they need to give you lots of space or it won't be of any value to anyone. LR Classic stores photos on your local hard disk, so you don't need a lot of cloud space
  3. Istanbul not Constantinople

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To wit, there is no Lightroom Classic as a single application.

The Adobe Photgraphy Plan which features Photoshop including Adobe Camera Raw and Bridge, Lightroom Classic, Lightroom (desktop app), Lightroom Mobile with 20GB cloud storage for US 10 per month and US 20 per month with 1TB of cloud storage.

That's much more than the new Lightroom and Lightroom Mobile with 1TB of storage.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines