• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot get Lightroom 6.0 to Sync with IPhone and iPad

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running LIghtroom 6.0 (LR6 - the disc version) on my laptop that is connected to my home wifi.  LR6, top left corner says "Get Started with Lightroom mobile" yet when I click it, "Sync with Lightroom Mobile" is greyed out.   Similarly, when I click the sync icon next to one of my Collections, it says "Syncing is currently turned off".   So it seems, LR6 does support syncing thru the cloud.   My question is how do I turn Syncing ON in LR6?    

I have been using LR6 for years.  And now I want to take advantage of the cloud services, image storage, syncing across iphone and ipad, and LR Web sharing with friends and family.  But I want to keep running LR6.   I realized that my LR6 is not "connected" to my Adobe Account.  AND I can find no way to log in via LR6.   

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS I recently subscribed to the cloud version of LR.  One obvious solution is to update my disc version, LR6, to the online version.  But my preference would be to keep using LR6 if it indeed it supports Syncing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS I recently subscribed to the cloud version of LR.

What Adobe Plan have you subscribed to?

Most likely are as follows:

• Photography Plan (20 GB)
  • Photography Plan (1 TB)
  • Lightroom Plan (1 TB)

For Adobe customers coming from the old perpetual Lightroom 6, A extremely bad marketing decision Adobe made a few years ago often leads to the subscription of the wrong plan.

I ask this because it sounds like you have issues syncing from your old catalog on your computer to the new cloud storage.

I suspect that you subscribed to the Lightroom Plan, and you now do not have what you are used to, that you have a program that wants to store everything on the cloud.

The Plans

• Photography Plan includes, Photoshop, Bridge, Lightroom Ecosystem  (Cloud Based) aka Lightroom, Lr), Lightroom Classic (LrC), and some misc.
  • Lightroom Plan includes only Lightroom Ecosystem (Cloud Based) aka Lightroom (Lr)
  • Their is no plan with just Lightroom Classic

The two computer Lightrooms

• Lightroom Classic runs on your computer, uses a catalog on your computer, and typically wants the photos on your computer.
  • Lightroom Ecosystem, runs on your computer, uses an Album on the cloud, and until recently wanted your photos on the cloud.

As you know, your old v6 had the Mobile option, At some point post subscription the Adobe Marketing decided to spin that out of Lightroom into a separate product. They were looking at the Smart Phone crowd. And eventually they decided to call the new product Lightroom. This caused a lot of dread, hate, cussing, complaints, as it sounded like they were abandoning the old Lightroom system in favor to the young me to generation and their Smart Phones.Advertisements for Lightroom we're all bold on the new program and initially did not talk of the normal Lightroom, eventually they had the normal lightroom in very small print.And bingo, the normal Lightroom got called Lightroom Classic.

As you might imagine, some of us are still unhappy . Nicknames for the newer cloud based Lr start from the nice Lr Cloudy, to the nit so nice Lr POS. 

Things are improving, but Lr Ecosystem is not as capable as Lightroom Classic

Your old Lr 6, has evolved into Lr Classic.

Any confusion is the fault of Adobe.

Now, if you did go for the Photography Plan, and as such you do have Lightroom Classic, then that LrC is perfectly capable of updating/upgrading your existing catalog, and from their, capable of syncing to the Cloud. So, not sure why you need v6 to sync.

P.S. As time goes by, more and more parts of old Lr 6 will fail. Face Rec gone, Google map gone, Registration  servers gone, Tech support gone,  downloading from Adobe gone in 2 days from now. Is sync gone? I do not know. As you apparently have a subscription, and as such the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App, perhaps that is causing a conflict.

If you went for the wrong subscription, you can change that at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2023 Dec 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoldingD,  thanks for the excellent tutorial.  What a mess.  In answer to your question, I signed up for the $10 Cloud based LR with 1T storage.  After reading your "version" tutorial, I'm having second thoughts.  

Does LR Classic (that comes with Photography package with Ps) come on disk or is it online only.  I prefer disk.  I also prefer NOT to have to relearn everthing with the new cloud based version.  My image collection had grown out of control (only 20K) so it was time to clean up my process.  So I spent the $50 for Kelby's LR Classic $50 book and its now my bible.   

So spending another $10 I get LRClassic along with PS and everything thing else I didn't know I wanted.  

Geeze!  

PS:  do you know if LRC is available on Disc to run on my PC instead of a Cloud service?

Thanks again for the quick response.  Now back to "organizing".  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe no longer sells any of this software on any media. They only have the subscription. It is all obtained via the Internet. Their is only the subscription model.

You can contact Adobe to change your plan. I think you can do that at  Adobe.com, where you can sign in, and manage your account. Or you might need to contact them after the Holiday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoldingD et all,  thanks again for all your help.  I did upgrade to the $20/plan as I didn't need PS etc at this time in my life.  I installed LRClassic on my desktop.  I keep my images on a external hard drive.  I also installed LR mobile? on my iPhone.  I was able to successfully select a block of images on my iphone, stick them in a catalog and they showed up a bit later in my desktop LRC.  Yeah, easy peasy.  

Syncing from Desktop to my iphone is a challenge.  at first I make a mistake and had a bunch of Catalogs checked for syncing inadvertently and had thousands of images on my iphone that i didn't want. I wanted just picks and 5stars NOT the entire shoot of thousands.  I found instructions on line on how to "fix" that by editing the Navigation "All synced photographs" list and it seemed to work.  However, now I cannot sync anything from desktop to phone.   UGH.  

The iphone app did unsync but I wanted to clean up all the messups and learning experiments etc so I unloaded the app from my phone.  Don't believe the message that says you will lose all my date.  After uninstalling and reinstalling from Apple APP Center,  All the junk I had before was still there.  UGH2.  

I don't want to reload LRC on my desktop as it seems to be behaving as I expect EXCEPT I can no longer sync my marked collections to my iphone.   

HELP!   

I'm sure I created this syncing issue by "playing around" on both sides to learn how it worked.  

I'm still not sure if Creative Cloud app on my desktop plays a part in the syncing?  I know the smart previews are stored there.  Can I view my Creative Cloud content?  I would like to get to my smart previews to maybe clean it up.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of mistakes, I mistyped above.  

Syncing from Desktop to my iphone is a challenge.  at first I make a mistake and had a bunch of Catalogs checked for syncing inadvertently and had thousands of images on my iphone that i didn't want. 

Catalogs s/b Collections

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2023 Dec 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The applications (Lightroom Desktop as well as Lightroom Classic) are installed on your PC and run on your PC, not in the cloud. In addition, with Lr Classic, all your files are stored locally.

With Classic, only collections that you mark to be synced will be uploaded and can then be worked across the Lr Ecosystem. Note that there will be uploaded smart previews only, not the originals, and that it does not count against your storage.

As already mentioned by GoldingD, all that needs the current version, as the old LrC 6 is not supported anymore.

I'd contact Adobe, to change your Plan.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks F,  I did upgrade to $20/mo bundle.  Hank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I remember, the old Lr 6 never had any ability to sync with the cloud or with any other device.

To take advantage of cloud syncing, you need more current software, specifically either Lightroom Classic (current version is 13.1) or the new Lightroom (current version is 7.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige,  Thanks for your help on this.  Hank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 did support sync, but the protocols have been updated after Lightroom 6 became obsolete, so it does not support it anymore.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan, THANKS for your help on this topic, Hank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines