• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot link my catalogue with all my previous work to the new updated version of lightroom V11.1

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

My llightroom classic has updated to V11.1 and my folders and files are no longer in the catalogue, the catalogue is totally empty.

How do I link the catalogue with all my work in to my lightroom again?

thank you

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're are sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic. After updating the Lightroom Classic application, when you open a catalog, do you get a message? If yes what was the message and which option did you select at that time? Please take a look at the following article and check if that helps: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/help/create-catalogs.html

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First step- with LrC running (with the empty catalog)-

It seems that the upgrade version has opened a new catalog instead of upgrading your previous working catalog.

Choose MENU: File > Open Recent

Do you see a selection of Catalogs that you can open?

If so, open one to check its contents.

If not, Second step-  Open Windows File Explorer (browser) and do a global search for any files that have the .LRCAT file-type suffix.

.LRCAT files are Catalogs, and, if more than one,  you would need to determine which one might be your recent Catalog with photos referenced.

Hint:  When starting Lr-Classic: hold down the [CTRL] key before your click to open LrC and keep holding intil a dialog opens to show all Catalogs that LrC can find.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does this seem to be such a common problem?
Why does Classic too often update the wrong catalog and why is there nothing to help users avoid this issue?
And why does an upgraded catalog not inherit the original name with the previous being renamed instead?
And why have these bad behaviors persisted for the past 15 years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so "common" when you consider the millions of unaffected Lightroom users.
Why does Classic too often update the wrong catalog and why is there nothing to help users avoid this issue?

It has never happened to me- so again not "often",  but I also would be curious to know an answer! Some users with this problem often reveal they have many 'old' catalogs 'hanging about' that should have been tidied up by deleting or archiving out of the Catalog folder.
And why does an upgraded catalog not inherit the original name with the previous being renamed instead?

Perhaps because Adobe does not want to risk over-writing your valuable catalog. You do have the option to rename in the Catalog upgrade dialog (but NOT with the same name!) I find a Version suffix is useful-  {My Catalog-v11.LRCAT}
And why have these bad behaviors persisted for the past 15 years?

I have never seen "bad behaviors".

When it happens this Community of volunteer users can often help.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

People start using a different (perhaps a backup) catalog, in a different folder, leaving the first catalog no longer used in the default folder. Then you upgrade to a new version of LrC and it looks in the default folder, finds the no-longer-used catalog in the default folder, and upgrades that. Adobe could do better in this respect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines