• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot load from my SD card

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time I attempt to add pictures to my catalog from my SD card my system locks-up and I have to close the program.  What am I doing wrong?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Partial diagnostic

Can you, outside of LrC, in fact with LrC not running, copy the photos to the desired folder on a hard drive on your computer?

If so, can you then, with the SD card not in the SD card reader, start LrC, then import those photos in that desired folder, using the ADD import option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, I can but this adds additional, and seemingly unnecessary work to the process.  I’d prefer to use the LrC tools.  Is this possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry the problem remains unresolved.  Useing Lr Classic, the system continues to freeze when I attempt to import from an SD card. 

Adobe suggests it may be a graphics hardware problem but I am able to import normally useing both MS Explorer or Adobe Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You stated, in your opening post "Each time I attempt to add pictures to my catalog from my SD"

I am not certain what you are attempting to achieve.

You cannot Add pictures to a Lightroom Classic Catalog from an SD card. The Catalog is a data-based file and it contains information about the images you import into Lightroom. If you are attempting to import images from an SD card you have to use one of the Copy options. You cannot use the "add" or "move" option.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what the import dialog should look like if you are trying to copy images to LrC from an SD card.

Screenshot 2022-04-02 at 5.20.27 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April 2, 2022

Hello Denis, thanks for taking the time to reply and send an example picture.  I so appreciate it.

Yes, your example picture is what it looks like when I try.  Then the next thing I click, will cause the system to freeze.  

Earlier this week I gave permission to the Adobe support person to remotely operate my Lr Classic and he had the same results – the system would FREEZE.  After several tries, his comment was – “Okay, it is clear that GPU is cause root of the problem.”  And, “Lrc 11.2 needs 2000 ops/sec GPU as minimum requirement.”

However, later, when I use Adobe Bridge, I can import from the SD card with no problems.

That may be my work around – download into a folder using Bridge and later import using Lr C.  This just seems so unnecessary.

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[April 2, 2022 initial statement correction, see below]

Each time I attempt to add   import pictures to my catalog from my SD card my system locks-up freezes and I have to close the program.  What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried disabling the GPU in the Pereformance tab of Preferences? If not, then do so and try importing from SD card reader again. If nothing else, this will rule in/out the GPU as the reason your system freezes.

Another potential reason for teh freeze is corrupt LrC preference. You can use Method 1 in this linked document to reset LRC prefernces https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian, I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry Ian, I found your recommendations beyond my technical understanding.  When I attempted as you suggested, I am reluctant to change settings in the preferences I do not understand, that may affect other functions of Lr.

I would expect Lr C to operate normally without other technical adjustments, and if the Adobe tech had problems – the situation remains beyond my capabilities too.

So, I will continue to download files from my SD card directly to my computer, using Bridge, then later import them into Lr C.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please clarify this:

Each time I attempt to add import pictures to my catalog from my SD card my system locks-up freezes

Your system freezes — meaning the whole computer freezes — and you have to re-start the computer??? Or does just Lightroom Classic freeze but the rest of the computer still runs properly? Which is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While using Lr C, when it freezes, I get a pop-up, message "Adobe Lightroom Classic is not responding,” but the system keyboard and mouse continues to operate normally. The "busy wheel"  continues to spin, and I can do nothing else with Lr while it is in this state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines