Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open LR Catalog: Parent Folder does not allow files to be created

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the full message: 

The Lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder “/Volumes/Storage Drive 3/Lightroom 2019/Lightroom Catalog 2019” does not allow files to be created within it.

So my operating drive crashed, and I've had to reinstall everything.   When I opened LR Classic and tried to open my working catalog, this is the error message that I got.  I have no clue how to work with folder permissions to allow files to be created.    I'm on a Mac Pro and am using High Sierra 10.13.4. 

Appreciate any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

I had the same problem just now. My original user account got corrupted, so I created a new user account. The problem was that the new user did not have read write permissions for the Lightroom folder. If you go get info (or press command-I) for that folder, you need to add yourself under sharing and permissions. Make sure you have read and write privilidges and apply them to the enclosed items (through the three dots next to the + - icon at the bottom)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Lightroom?

As you apparently cannot open the current catalog, Can you create a new catalog and check in Lightroom for version as seen in /Help/System Information.

Alternatively, and I am not at a computer right now, so this from foggy memory, In your Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App, in the App tab, at the Lightroom Classic instance, you can view the version (Mouse hover over program description/Title)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you work on that Lightroom version clarification.

Another issue is to look at your rights to the folder that Lightroom is complaining about.

In Finder, navigate to that folder, Select Get Info, and look at your rights.

macOS Sierra: Set permissions for items on your Mac

In fact look at these folders as well:

• /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/
  • /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/
  • /Users/[user name]/Library/Caches/Adobe/
  • /Users/[user name]/Documents/Adobe/

Solutions to Adobe Lightroom Lightroom user permission issues on launch

By the way, I would not call that the parent folder, Oh it could be, but parent folder is a term in the catalogs folder panel, parent to where images are kept, could be same as where catalog is kept. Just bitching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone else encounters this.  I had checked that Lightroom was up to date.  I also uninstalled and reinstalled it.  And I had gone through all the permissions already to test that.  I was getting a message that there were no permissions to write in a folder where the permissions were clearly set correclty

I texted Adobe support (did not want to do that when the problem cropped up on Easter Sunday.

Their advice was to drag drag any catalog backup to the desktop and try to open it. That worked. Lightroom opened and the permissions messages stopped appearing. I sked the Tech what that fixed -- why did it work. Her response. She did not know.

Okay. So there is the possibility that the problem may recur because its not clear that anything got fixed. But, should anyone else find themself in a similar predicament.... this worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Then I had to upgrade the catalog once I reopened the original catalog from its harddrive folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another kind of permissions under System Preferences > Security & Privacy that's tripping up lots of Mac users recently.  You're on an older version of Mac OS, so it may not apply to you, but give it a try:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lightroom-catalog-cannot-be-used-becaus... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and it worked. Thank you very much for your suggestion...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem just now. My original user account got corrupted, so I created a new user account. The problem was that the new user did not have read write permissions for the Lightroom folder. If you go get info (or press command-I) for that folder, you need to add yourself under sharing and permissions. Make sure you have read and write privilidges and apply them to the enclosed items (through the three dots next to the + - icon at the bottom)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Privacy Settings finally proved to be the key - once this was set specifically for Adobe Lightroom as Full Access the problem went away. Thank you for the tip!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I recently began experiecing the same problem described above... 

The Lightroom catalog cannot be used because the parent folder “/Volumes/xxxxxx/Photos/xxxxx Photo Library” does not allow files to be created within it.  I've been using the same MAC, external hard drive set up for years.  I have not change MACs or had a system corruption.  I verified that the read/write permissions and the privacy and security settings described below are set correctly.  The only recent change to my system was the installation of macOS Montery.  Could that be related?  Any advide would be great.  Using LR Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have granted LrC full disk access in your osMac 12 Monteray permissions. See the link below for info.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines