• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot rename subfolders in Lightroom Classic (Mac)

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to rename a subfolder (Hard drive > Pictures > Lightroom > Lightroom Photos > YEAR > Subfolder I want to rename) from within Lightroom, the folder immediately gets a question mark on it and I can't load any photos because they can't be found. If I right click on the folder, I get an option to locate the missing folder and selecting that opens up a Finder window where I can locate it. However, selecting the folder and clicking OK does nothing. I don't get an error, but the folder/photos contained inside are still considered missing. 

I've tried quitting LRC after renaming but before trying to locate the missing folder, and that doesn't make a difference. I've tried quitting LRC after renaming and selecting the missing folder, but it still doesn't work. I have to go into the Finder and set the folder back to its original name there in order for the folder and its contents to be available to me in LRC.

What's the deal here? Has a recent update made it where you can't rename subfolders?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Not sure what is going on with your settings. I just tested renaming a subfolder and yes, LR renamed the folder and that folder was automatically renamed in its location.

Are you right clicking on that subfolder and selecting "rename..." and then renaming the folder?

Have you checked to make sure first that the folder you are renaming is in the location that Lightroom thinks it is in? In other words, is that subfolder without a question mark to start?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you can change this in the Finder (as a test)? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have seen a similar problem, but it clears itself up after I quit and restart Lightroom Classic. There are many others reporting this type of problem in a post on the official Lightroom Classic feedback site; the Adobe rep claims they are unable to reproduce the problem so they could probably use any additional info to isolate it. Fortunately, Adobe has marked that topic “In Progress” which means they are trying to work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines