Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cannot use italic / bold italic font while making watermark

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I used LRC to convert raw files to jpeg, but had a problem with adding watermark.

The font didn't work correctly if I choose italic or bold italic font to make watermark.

I tried other applications such as photoshop, the fonts works correctly, also works in lightroom old version.

Does anyone know how to solve it?

Thanks!

Suede

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe just check that there is a true italic / bold / bold italic font file installed in your computer, for the chosen typeface. 

In many software even if you only have a single font file installed (treated as the "regular" form of that typeface) - faux crudely darkened or sloped text is shown if you choose bold or italic font override.

But if you do have the true and designed (for example) italic variant installed - which can often differ significantly from the regular form, as to letter shapes / spacing - that proper designed font variant is automatically shown.

I have the impression from other prior posts here, that LrC may have recently stopped filling in absent variants with "faux" transforms. Personally I think that is actively a good thing, since the faux effect tends to be typographically very ugly, but the interface does not prevent selecting a missing variant (it probably should prevent that). Thus depending on the particular typeface chosen, you may or may not successfully achieve bold / italic overridden text within the watermarks generated.

AS an example of how this happens, with most common typefaces there will be a XXXX (Regular) that comes with Bold / Italic / Bold Italic designed forms also. But sometimes there may be "XXXX SemiBold" or "XXXX Light" or whatever, as entirely separate typefaces. XXXX Semibold probably does possess a true italic variant, but a Bold variant for XXXX Light, is less to be expected.

Many special display typefaces may offer no variants at all: they are not designed with that in mind. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @richardplondon for that explanation.

Back in 2018 I was seeing font problems as in this forum thread- Watermark Font problems 

IMO It is far better to create a Graphic PNG in Photoshop (for a watermark graphic) where Fonts are far more useful!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I will try this way to solve the watermark problem, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure that there is a true italic / bold / bold italic font file installed in my computer, thanks anyway. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was just a thought.

I would agree that if you can make and use a PNG, this brings free graphical control (and with no further dependence on the typeface). The text watermark is rather more of a functional thing. What may 'break' that could still be a specific font issue - or a type sizing issue, I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2023 Jan 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can confirm this! Installed all Merriweather (Serif) fonts (incl. bold italic and regular italic) via CC app. When assing any of installed italic fonts to watermark LR render default sans serif font. It happens many installed fonts too (tried open sans), not tested all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines