• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon 5d mark 4 Can't upload raw images to Lightroom 5

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello please help ! I recently bought a Canon mark 2 5d and I can't upload the images into Lightroom 5. It says it can't read the raw files . See pic . I can't update Lightroom as no update is available on the cloud . And I can't even update my old laptop 10.10.5 mac . What on earth do I do .??? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not much, I'm afraid. The 5D Mk 4 requires Lightroom 6.7 or later to process raw files, but Lightroom 6.x is no longer available, so the only route forward would be by purchasing an Adobe subscription for Lightroom Classic. However, Lightroom Classic will not run on that very old operating system. The alternative to a subscription would normally be the free Adobe DNG converter (i.e. standalone program to convert the raw files to the DNG format, which LR5 could then read), but the same software restriction applies as the current DNG converter requires MacOS 10.15 or later.

So your options are very limited. If you want to stay with Lightroom, and you want to shoot Raw with your new camera, then you would need to upgrade your laptop and take out a subscription plan for Lightroom Classic. Alternatively, it might be possible to use Canon's DPP software to convert your raw files to Tiff for import to LR5, but that's assuming that DPP itself will still run on that old Mac software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are older versions of DNG Converter for macOS available from https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/16064/adobe-dng-converter/old-versions

I believe DNG 10.0 is compatible with macOS 10.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian, that's very useful to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However the OP says she has a 5D Mk II which was supported from LR 2.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However the OP says she has a 5D Mk II which was supported from LR 2.2.

By @elie_dinur

I assumed that was a typo, as the thread title states Mark 4 (which would make more sense).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes was a typo thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DNG Converter 10.x supports all Canon EOS 5D models and is compatible with the OPs version of macOS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian . It was not successful unfortunately 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JaneAnnaSmith 

Using the link that @Ian Lyons provided, it should therefore be possible to download an older version of the Adobe DNG Converter, then use that to convert raw files from the 5D Mk4 to the DNG format, which can then be imported into LR5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jim ,thankyou for your reply.

I managed to download this other Lightroom version on to my laptop which I thought was the 6 , but it looks like it's for mobiles? I was able to transfer my files into this program on my laptop  however the colours look different they look bland . I'm unsure if it's because I accidentally had the setting as sRGB not adobe RGB in my camera . Or if it's this program . Or the camera 5d mark 4 which I bought second hand .

I tried to install the dng converter however I received this msg I was unable to. You mentioned I could pay for Lightroom Classic , I thought I was already doing this as I'm paying Adobe monthly for both Photoshop and Lightroom. If I was to buy a new laptop which Mac would you recommend I require loads of storage. Also will I then be able to download Lightroom classic /6 ? Would that enable me to easily transfer my shoots from my Canon 5d m4? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, there's a bit of confusion going on here in relation to the subscription that your are paying for. Can you start up this "other version of Lightroom" that you have installed, do Help>System Info and post a screenshot of the resulting report. We need to see exactly what you have installed.

The DNG converter issue seems odd, as it suggests that the info in the Macupdate link is not correct, It may be you'd need to install the previous version of the DNG Converter (9.6.1), but I suggest you leave thay in abeyance until we clarify the situation with your subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. One more screenshot please. Click on the Apple logo top left of your laptop screen and select "About This Mac", then post the resulting display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Why do you think your MBP's OS level can't be upgraded beyond the current 10.10.5? I have a late-2013 MBP (more or less the same spec as yours, but yours is a bit newer) and that is running MacOS Big Sur (11.7.2) which is now at the latest version possible for the machine. The point is that it is running the latest version of Lightroom Classic (12.1) and so there's no reason at all with your subscription why you can't upgrade the OS to Big Sur then install and run the very latest version of Lightroom Classic. It will be fine to continue to receive the updates until the next version (13) is likely released next October, at which point it will be stuck at the 12.x level. But that's way way better than LR5 or even the LR CC2015 version that you have just installed.

BTW, with LRCC2015 you would not need the DNG Converter. The issue with the colours "looking bland" may well be related to how you "transferred your files" to the new program. Can you expand on that? If we can sort that out, you should be in a good position to firstly upgrade the MacOS version to Big Sur, and when that's done you could install the latest versions of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop (and get access to all the potential of cloud syncing and mobile access to your images).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.  I guess I feel like I can't upgrade the software because my Mac constantly runs out of space and says my scratch disk is full. I have deleted pretty much everything but Lightroom and it still says it's full. Is there a way to put Lightroom files/Lightroom on to an external hardrive and work off that ? Also do you happen to be in Melbourne and could come and help me ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can move all your image files and the Lightroom sub-folder that contains the Catalog file and support files including the preview files to an external drive connected via USB. That should enable you to free up disk space on your system drive.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 24, 2022 Dec 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm rather a long way from Melbourne (I'm in the UK)!

So, how big is your laptop's hard drive and how big is the Lightroom folder? Is the image library on the hard drive as well, or on an external drive? When I was using my MBP for Lightroom I started off with the catalog folder on the internal SSD (512GB) and images on an external drive. Eventually the SSD came under pressure due mainly to the ever-increasing size of the Lightroom catalog and previews, and eventually I moved them to a small external SSD. That had very little impact on performance, so it worked well. You could do something similar to free up space on the internal drive and allow you to upgrade the MBP to Big Sur, then upgrade Lightroom to the latest Lightroom Classic. We can talk you through that if that's something you'd like to consider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim thankyou so much , i think I found the problem the images have been automatically saving to my laptop , I ended up buying a new laptop now because I couldnt handle the pressure 😩now I just need to work out how to start again on this new laptop . Is there a way we can chat in private? Ps Merry Christmas :christmas_tree:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See the link below for additional information.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines