• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

canon mark iv tethers to iMac but not Macbook

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am pulling my hair out over here. I shoot with a Canon Mark IV and am fully able to tether and shoot when the camera is connected to my desktop, but on my laptop Lightroom does not see the camera. I have tried all the things, resetting preferences, changing cords, all my software and firmware is up to date, etc etc, but nothing works. has anyone else had this issue?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. How connected

• In both cases, via USB cable?
  • Same USB Cable?
  • If not same cable, are both same type, same connectors?
  • Is that USB port on the camera a USB 3.0  Micro Type-B, dies the cable you are using connect to all the pins? As in using a USB 2 type B Micro into a USB 3 type B micro.
  • If not same cable, have you tried swapping?
  • In both cases, USB cable, connected to a USB port in computer, not a hub?
  • In the failed case, USB cable into USB port, not some other type port requiring adapter or odd cable? Thunderbolt may work just fine connecting to USB type C, but what cable/adapter is used, compatable? HDMI to USB, ugghhh. Firewire to USB, similar issue as Thunderbolt cable/adapter.

2. MACOS

• Same exact MACOS both computers?

hmm, "Canon Mark IV" what Canon model? 5D Mk IV? If so, is that a USB 3.0  Micro Type-B connection on the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

two different usb cables, both work on desktop, neither work on laptop. no hub, direct connection on both desktop and laptop....Ive checked in the usb preferences on laptop and the computer is reading the camera connection. Lightroom and Canon eos 3 are not, and for giggles I tried Capture One and that is not reading the camera either. I am stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is the newest-ish Canon Mark IV, purchased last year. so it is not an older model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes things get overlooked. Camera off before connecting? 

Hmm, could have sworn that was in (ref 1) but is no longer Turning camera off then on is mentioned in (ref 2)

Also, card in camera?

An oddity is (ref 1) has an * next to the 5D Mk IV, just like the Mk III, but the remark footer for  * does not include the Mk IV.

(ref 1) : Adobe | Tethered camera support | Lightroom Classic

(ref 2): Adobe | Troubleshoot tethered capture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whst is the MACOS  version(s)

Should have asked that prior.

Sysoecting a Files and Folders security issue as discussed in (ref 3)

(ref 3): How to grant access to folders on macOS Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, have you considered restoring (a.k.a resetting) the Lightroom Classic preference file? The preference file can get corrupted leading to buggy behavior, The preference file will survive updates, upgrades, uninstall, reinstall. Note that some preference settings might revert to defaults.

see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

This is actually mentioned in (ref 2) that I included in prior reply

(ref 2): Adobe | Troubleshoot tethered capture

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you. here is the update, I have tried all these things and nothing works.

I just bought a brand new TetherPro usb-c to micro b and it works on my desktop but not my laptop.

I have tried 3 different cables in both ports.

all my software is up-to-date

macbook is a 2021 macbook pro with apple chip

no camera is detected by lightroom and canon eos live shooting remains greyed out. however, when i plug the camera in and turn it on the canon eos 3 utility does open. So it sees something there but is unable to detect what it is?

I am stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines