Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon R5 Import Issues

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

I have the Canon R5 and use a Macbook Pro 2020 model. 
I am having trouble seeing clear previews in Lightroom Classic in the import dialogue box. The previews are extremely low quality even in the thumbnail version. I mainly shoot wildlife, so need to be able to see good quality in focus previews as it is a huge pain to go through and delete hundreds of pics after importing my whole CF card. 
I have updated my lightroom to the recently released update that supposedly provides for support for new cameras. 
When importing I connect the R5 directly to the computer through the USB type C connections.. 

I have spent hours chatting to the Adobe support team who even remotely changed settings to see if it would  work but still nothing. Examples of images below. After importing the photos are perfect.

7DMKii used to show clean previews... Screenshot 2021-08-26 at 19.36.48.pngScreenshot 2021-08-26 at 19.36.56.png
PLEASE HELP...

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

I am seeing the same issue here. I normally import on Windows so I hadn't noticed it. I will log a bug with the team.  Thank you for the report.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any possibility that your camera is accidentally set to produce low resolution JPGs?

What happens if you use different connection to the computer (for example a card reader) or copy the files to the hard disk first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing the same issue here. I normally import on Windows so I hadn't noticed it. I will log a bug with the team.  Thank you for the report.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On additional note: This may be an OS issue as Lightroom Desktop shows the same issues with Direct Connect Cable and Mac.  The team is investigating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk,

I just carried out a check to see whether I could reproduce the issue demonstrated by the OP but using a card reader, and couldn't. Therefore, I suspect the issue is limited to direct connection between camera and computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree @Ian Lyons. I see the same thing here.  As I haven't purchased a card reader for the new compact flash express card yet so I am connecting via cable still. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just running into this same issue.  Thanks for the information.  Any updates on a resolution that does not involve a seperate card reader?  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an EOS R5 and don't recognise the issue you describe. The quality of the import module previews are fine (see below screenshot). 

May be your issue is due to the direct connection between the camera and the MacBook Pro. In my case, the images have already been copied to the hard drive. Have you tried doing the same?

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things to try, second more likely, but first can be immediately attempted.

1. On that MAC, with the camera connected via USB, and card in camera (not the recommended method) . Instead of clicking on the card under devices, do that under Files. Hmm, you may need to turn camera off then on for it to show up. 

2. Obtain a high quality card reader, Use it in the future, and for now, see if that improves the issue at hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all..

With regards importing onto the computers drive first... The R5 is not mounting so I can't see it in finder... Any ideas on how to get it to mount?

I guess best thing would be to buy a card reader for this new CF Express card and see if that works. 

thanks so much for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am having similar problems and it's happened completely out of the blue. No software or OS updates. Was working fine yesterday, no changes, but today, I cannot see the thumbnails on import from the R5 on a direct cable connection. Doesn't matter what the file type is for photos or which card is being read, but, perversley, videos show up fine. Done power cycle resets of both my MBP and camera. 

Luckily I do have a CF Express card reader (primarily for downloading video rather than photos) and files show up fine on that. While a direct connection is slower than a card reader, I have not had to use (as opposed to chosen to use) a card reader directly for years, so, this problem is a retrograde step. More kit to carry around and far more wear on the card and pins to continually remove it from the camera. For a device costing hundreds of pounds, it isn't something I want to do regularly and risk damage. 

Canon EOS Utility 3 sees the files and displays thumbnails without problem, so, it seems the fault is entirely LR Classic, so, downloading that way is now a two step process rather than one. Will speak to Adobe support directly when I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same issue here.  My R5 does not get listed on Lightroom Import, but is fine when using Canon EOS Utility 3.  Are there any fixes out yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using? 

I've just tested importing from an R5 using a cable connection, and it worked without issue (apart from the slowness!) on both MacOS (13.2.1) and Windows 10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim.  Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1 on an Apple M1 Max Mac Studio.

Do you normally use a CF Express card reader to get the transfer speed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not usually, no. I did buy a Sandisk CfExpress card reader when I first bought the R5, but I don't like the fact that CfExpress cards are seen by the OS and thus LrC as removable drives, which means that the default import type is ADD. So if I don't check my import preset has been selected I could end up with the images being referenced from the card, not my hard drive (that's caught quite a few users out!). So I leave the reader in the drawer and use the SD card reader built into the hub that I use with my M1 Mac Mini. That's plenty fast enough for me, especially as I use the Embedded preview import option so I can start culling as soon as the first images appear in the grid.

I wouldn't normally import from a direct cable connection (I don't want to risk some clumsy oaf, AKA me, catching the cable and dropping my expensive camera and lens on the concrete floor!), but just tested it to see if there any import issues that you are experiencing. The only issues so far have been the (very) slow populating of the import grid, plus the fact that the import has now failed completely because the batteries in the camera have gone flat (another reason why I don't import directly from the camera).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried importing the images using the Apple Image Capture app? You should find it in the Mac Applications folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - I Seem to have fixed it.  When I installed the EOS applications, there was a Canon application added to the list of programs that run on login.  This put an icon up in the top menu bar of Finder.  I removed this application from mthe run on login list and all now appears to work fine.  That app must have been hijacking the camera in the background and locking it out from Lightroom.  Thanks for all the helpful responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well done for figuring it out! I'd never have been able to identify that issue as I don't have any of the Canon software installed.

Thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines