• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support additional flavors (non iOS) of HEIC, HIF, HEVC for Import

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe get with the program.  I tried importing *.HIF files today from my EOS R5 and Lightroom Classic doesn't even show them in the import window.  They can't be imported.  I can import iPhone *.HEIF files but not from the EOS R5.  Adobe's lack of support for import and export of *.HEIF files is pathetic

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Updates to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html 

(May 2023): FIXED  Sony HIF File Issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-sony-hif-images-reading-image-and-writing-metadata-error/idi-p/13770782 

(April 2023) Preliminary Support for DSLR flavors of HIF files (Import and Sync) was added to LrD and LrC 

(Dec 2022): See the updated doc: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html in section "Working with HDR Output" for updates on preli

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 172 Replies 172
172 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, agree with the other requestors,

we need to have Adobe to recognize and read the Canon R5 Heif ! 

Thanks to get this going and adapted fast in Adobe Lr.

Thomas 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Any update for us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick Any update for us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, Rikk, this question about Canon .hif file format support by Adobe has been doing laps for months now, in various forums. I could understand if this was some obscure new camera manufacturer that had just come out on the market with some new format, that Adobe would need to be deciding on whether to commit resources to deal with it. But, this is Canon. What we need to hear from Adobe is whether and or when we can expect to see support for .hif files. BTW, there's been a suggestion that we can use Canon's DPP to convert a .hif to .tiff. I tried it and it works just fine. The trouble is that it converted my EOS R6 .hif into a 110 MB file; since R6 RAW files are only about 20 MB each, this conversion before importing to Lightroom or Photoshop makes no sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I support the above requesters: I'm working with a Canon R5 camera as well and would like to use HEIF files in combination with Lightroom Classic. There are thousands of photographers out there waiting for a solution for this from Adobe. 

I might say that we are paying enough for your software to expect some decent support in this.

Erik 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Adobe doing to fix this issue. I know Canon has something to do with this but do you guys just not talk to eachother?  I usually shoot RAW but when I need to just snap a few shots for work in .jpeg and the files have an extention of .HIF and Lightroom is vertually usless now with Canon's new extention/file format.  Now I'm stuck shooting everything in huge RAW files just to make it work. 

Adobe - your always slow to the game - I see Affinity in my future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"when I need to just snap a few shots for work in .jpeg and the files have an extention of .HIF"

Switch your R5 to record in JPEG (.jpg) instead of HEIF (.hif):

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART178102 

As for LR supporting Canon .hif (HEIF), please add your constructive opinion to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroom-classic-please-support-eos... 

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing I can do with the .hif files from Sony a7siii. This is pathetic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a suggestion but it would be nice to have an Adobe newsletter or email for known files issue compatability with Adobe LR & PS.  If there is one I wouldn't know where to look.  Any plans to support the new .HIF from Canon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure Adobe will support this in the future. But Adobe never publically states any future plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took quite a long time (over a year) before Lightroom supported the HEIC files iPhones generate (basically the same file format as .hif, so this might take a while.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk its been 3 months any update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick Its been 3 months any update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Victoria_Bampton_Lightroom_Queen Have you hear any word on Adobe supporting Canon's HIF files?  Ill we hear from adobe is crickets!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@michael_karchner unfortunately even if I knew, I wouldn't be able to say until they announced support sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would highly recommend hitting the upvote button on the top post (Left side). This feature request only has two votes in three months. 

Just as an FYI - and as told in many other threads. ETAs and Updates are not given until a feature is released. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk this is not a feature request this is a vary common file type in all new canon cameras and I looks like based on comments Sony as well. It’s not like we are are asking for an obscure camera’s file type to be supports it’s Canon and Sony for crying out loud. The two biggest camera manufacturers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Let me suggest a better answer:

"Adobe understands that camera manufacturers are constantly innovating with new product releases. It has always been the policy of Adobe to meet these challenges in a timely manner so that our customers can make the best use of Adobe products; clearly, this is an example of enabling our customers to make use of new file formats that significantly reduce file sizes, and improve customer workflow. Adobe is committed to adding this capability to Photoshop and Lightroom, and will release product updates to our user community, as soon as they are available."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Greg Durfee   Unfortunately, the R5 and R6 have been out since July.  Adobe was quick to add CR3 support but seems to have forgot about the HIF.  So I think we are beyond timely manner haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk  UpVote done. I am still waiting for Adobe to support for my hardware. I understand that Adobe is a third party in this, but the camera was released months ago.

Why is there such a delay for Photoshop or Lightroom to natively support what are going to be STANDARD file types?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Adobe just released the latest version of Lightroom and now it 9 months with no HIF support for Canon R5 and R6.  Maybe we'll get it next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! It is getting pretty ridiculous how poor support for this format is.

Surely upvoting on a random message board such as this isn't how Adobe decides how to allocate their software engineering resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't take these issues seriously. 
They don't consider them from the photographer's point of view.
Just like eos r eosrp.Camera profiles??? No, they don't exist.
(._.)/ |___|

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can appreciate that for operation reasons an ETA might be impractical, and also implies delivery of a product that may never be released.

However... as written above in a mock entry, acknowledging that this is an issue to be addressed is a very reasonable thing, and provides some semblance of reassurance to paying customers. 

The software as a service model, with ongoing revenue streams to Adobe, only works if Adobe continues to iterate and deliver a product that we want. Otherwise we will readily look to other standalone single purchase offerings (which let's face it, from a consumer perspective are far more preferable).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yi xu

Adobe is getting fat and lazy on the continuous revenue stream Creative Cloud brings. There will be a sizeable revolt to alternatives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate