Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Canon R5 jpeg files are now *.HIF extensions and can't be read by Lightroom.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Adobe doing to fix this issue. I know Canon has something to do with this but do you guys just not talk to eachother?  I usually shoot RAW but when I need to just snap a few shots for work in .jpeg and the files have an extention of .HIF and Lightroom is vertually usless now with Canon's new extention/file format.  Now I'm stuck shooting everything in huge RAW files just to make it work. 

Adobe - your always slow to the game - I see Affinity in my future. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Import and export, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"when I need to just snap a few shots for work in .jpeg and the files have an extention of .HIF"

Switch your R5 to record in JPEG (.jpg) instead of HEIF (.hif):

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART178102 

As for LR supporting Canon .hif (HEIF), please add your constructive opinion to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/camera-raw-and-dng/lightroom-classic-please-support-eos... 

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a suggestion but it would be nice to have an Adobe newsletter or email for known files issue compatability with Adobe LR & PS.  If there is one I wouldn't know where to look.  Any plans to support the new .HIF from Canon?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure Adobe will support this in the future. But Adobe never publically states any future plans.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It took quite a long time (over a year) before Lightroom supported the HEIC files iPhones generate (basically the same file format as .hif, so this might take a while.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines