• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

catalog and backups

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom catalog is in the folder 2022-04-08 0816 (screenshot 1 and 2) but my backup’s are of a later date but are zipped (screenshot 3). Why is my my catalog not from the latest date, in my case 2022-04-18 1836 that’s my latest backup date, I made? And if I put all the backups in the trash folder, except the last one, would that give problems?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You messed it up a bit, your working catalog should not be in such a dated folder at all. These folders are created by the catalog backup process, so it looks like you unzipped a backup catalog that was created on 2022-04-08 and started to use that as your working catalog.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I understand now why I stay in folder 2022-04-08 0816, because I graded this one up to working catalog. If it’s a mess how do I de-mess it? The only thing I remember is, after I reinstalled Mac-Monterey, I had problems with Lightroom to find my catalog and linked picture folder. Maybe this was my solution to solve it.
Where should I’ve find my catalog then? And is there a proper place for Lightroom working catalog and can I change the working catalog I’am using now to the proper one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It makes sense to move your working catalog out of those dated folders. Having it in one of these folders is confusing. After you've moved the catalog and all other files to a new location, you must let Lightroom know this new location. That is easy. Just start Lightroom by double clicking on the catalog file. Lightroom will launch and will remember the new location, so you only have to do that once.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you mean Johan, remove all the backups out of my folder ‘afbeeldingen’ (Backups into Dropbox) and the recent pictures elsewhere and leave in this folder only the working catalog, so as it always was, maybe rename it in Working catalog?
Those older backups, I think, they can go to the trash folder.
But if my Mac wil crashed once again, then I had tot restart Lightroom with the latest Backup (Dropbox) and bring this one then to the folder ‘afbeeldingen’ and rename it.
Does this sound as a proper organization?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Keep your catalog in a 'Lightroom' folder inside your "Afbeeldingen" folder. When Lightroom makes a catalog backup, then either choose another disk as destination for those, or use your Dropbox folder if you do not have an external disk. And use Apple Time Machine (or another backup utility) to make a full backup of your entire hard disk, because you no doubt have other important files you do not want to lose either. Remember that Lightroom Classic only backs up its catalog, not the original images!

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot, for the first time, I’ve the feeling I’am in controle of the catalog, it's basically very simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines