Catalog change location didn't work?

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I changed the catalog location from the default in Pictures, to a custom folder. Why is Lightroom still saving RAW files to my User/Pictures folder? I opened some RAW files from SD card, and Lightroom created a new folder called 2021, then put the RAW originals in there. I thought they would be saved in my custom location.

Is that my catalog, or is that something else like a backup? How can I change where Lightroom puts those RAW files whatever their purpose is? 

Macbook Pro Catalina, latest Lightroom Classic 11.1. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might have figured this out, I think it's storing the images in the Destination location, not the Catalog location. Think I was confused and thought the Catalog actually held the images. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And you choose the location it stores to separately on each Import with Copy, though it does start at the last location you used. 

Sean McCormack. Author. Magazine Writer. Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image files are not stored in the catalog - storage location is independent.

If you import using "Copy" LrC will copy the images where you tell LrC in the import dialog.

If you import using "Add" LrC will import the images at its current location.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines