• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog is being corrupted

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the " The Lightroom catalog is corrupted and cannot be used until it is repaired" message. After the repair the catalog was still obviously corrupted. For instance, there are 4800 images in the catalog but it only sees 900. So I have good backups and I brought my latest back up catalog into the folder and it too was instantly corrupted. So I copied the good catalog to just outside the folder with the corrupted catalog and all the image files. I opened this copy of the catalog and connected the images back to it. It is now working normally. My question is-what do I need to delete from the old catalogs before I can move the good catalog back into its proper home?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have good backups and I brought my latest back up catalog into the folder and it too was instantly corrupted.

Hard disk malfunction. Maybe a bad sector that includes the folder where your catalog is located. My first advice is always exactly what you did: Unzip another copy of the backup catalog, put it somewhere else on your hard disk (different folder) and then try opening it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I wondered about that possibility. I've now moved both the image file folder and the catalog folder to another drive and the open normally. But I would like to move the catalog back into its proper home. Should I delete the old corrupted catalogs first? And any other files or folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I would like to move the catalog back into its proper home.

I would not recommend that. You can move it back to the original disk, but in a different folder than the original.

Anything associated with a corrupted catalog can be deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you suspect drive issues, run disk repair specific to Mac/Windows, and consider backing up and reformatting that hard drive. If you continue to have problems, replace the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again. I'll try all of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines