Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog size is more than 4GB error?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I have searched the forum and not been able to find an answer.

I've been using Photoshop for years, but I am new to Lightroom. In fact, I have only imported a grand total of 68 images so far, so I'm struggling to understand why Lightroom is telling me my catalog is more than 4GB. The RAW images themselves (on an external drive) are less than 1.3GB, and looking into Catalog Settings (catalog is on my MacBook Pro's SSD), the Catalog is showing as 5.24MB! The whole Lightroom folder with all the backups & previews is only 216MB.

So can anyone shed any light on this (no pun intended)? Am I being stupid and/or missing something here?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

LR error.png

LR Catalog.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

It's a programming error. Just check the box to "Don't show again" and the message will go away. Maybe it will get fixed next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a programming error. Just check the box to "Don't show again" and the message will go away. Maybe it will get fixed next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.

Is this just a bug in the latest release of Lightroom CC? Did I miss previous posts on the subject - I can’t be the only one who’s had this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same to me.

I updated yesterday the desktop version (6.8) – my catalog is 1,02 GB. If I close LR, it states that the catalog is more than 4GB. Thanks, Jim – I clicked "Don't show again." and don't care about it any more...

By the way: Optimizing and compressing takes as much time as it did before the update.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this message this morning too but my catalog actually is over 4gb (it's 4.16). Do I need to worry about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It's just letting you know that backups are compressed and that if you ever need to restore from a backup you will have to unzip the file using a third party tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi paulsacf,

Please refer the below troubleshooting article, related to this issue.

Unable to back up the catalog in Lightroom CC

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mohit

I had already followed Jim's advice from 12 Dec - just checked the box to "Don't show again", and no more error messages since.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm just wondering how long it takes for you machine to write the back-up file...mine takes about 15 to 20 minutes. BTW i get the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only a few seconds on my 2015 rMBP, but as a new Lightroom user, I still only have a very small catalogue (just over 13 MB).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I've been using for years but not still not a power user. If anyone can help with this issue of 20min backups please reply.

When I go to Catalog>Settings> and check the location of my catalog It takes me to users>me>pictures>Catalog Name>Backups. So confusing. I think somehow my directory structure got messed up. The size of the catalog folder is 21 Gig. and within the catalog folder are some files and a folder named backups. Its within the backup folder is where Lightroom takes me to find my catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think it takes longer if your catalogue is bigger . mine is pretty huge and quite normal to take 20 mins plus...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi paulsacf,

Please update Lightroom to 6.9/2015.9 version which includes the fix for Lightroom: Erroneous warning message on Catalog Backup | Photoshop Family Customer Community

refer: Lightroom CC 2015.9 now available

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines