• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog transfer question

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to transfer my LR catalog to my newer macbook pro. The problem is LR on the MBP is at version 10.3. LR on my old computer is only at version 7.3.1 and cannot be updated because the OS needs to be updated. I am hesitant to update the OS because it is an older iMac desktop (late 2009) currently at version 10.11.6 EL Capitan. Adobe says I need to be at 10.12 or later.  What can I do? I would like to move all of my photos and LR catalog to the MBP.

TIA for any suggestions

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me ask, I think some clarity is needed.

1. First, specs om old iMAC

MACOS El Capitan v10.11.6

LrC v7.32

this on a 2009 iMAC

2. Second, specs on MACBook Pro

MACOS  not stated

LrC v10.3

3. You want to move catalog and photos from old iMAC to newer MACBook Pro.

As to an answer. Yes the catalog and photos can be migrated over to the MACBook Pro, when you first launch the LrC to open thst catalog, LrC will upgrade the catalog. It will make a new copy that works with the new database that is in the new LrC. The old copy of LrC on the iMAC, will not be able to use this new catalog.

Note this does not speak to the how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you GoldingD. That answers the big question. I have been using LR on the MBP for a little while which means there is already a catalog on there. When I move my old catalog to the MBP I assume it will create a separate catalog? At some point can I merge the 2 catalogs. Because of the fact that the photo files will be not have the same structure I think that will be complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully you can help. I was able to copy my photos and catalog to an external drive and open them on my laptop. My issue is I had already started using LR on the laptop and it has its own catalog and photos. When I opened the catalog that I transfered, I believe LR moved my exising catalog (on the laptop) to the backup folder.  If I try to use the import from another catalog to merge the 2 catalogs I get an error "can't import due to an unknown error". I unzipped the backed up catalog. Then in the import catalog dialog I pointed it to the unzipped catalog. But it still fails. The only other workaround I can think of is to import all of the photos from the laptop into my newly created catalog and I would have keyword them all over again and loose all of my processeing. Not thirlled with that option.

Any tips are much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I have also copied the backup catalog to the desktop. Same result. I tried renaming the import catalog. Same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow-up: Last thing I tried that seemed to work for someone else, was shutting down LR, re-launching, and tried again. FINALLY worked. Painfull process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To summarize your steps-

1) Install Lr-Classic v10.4 on the new MBP (Do not start LrC- yet!)

2) Copy your Lightroom CATALOG from the 'old' macbook to the 'new' MBP

3) Copy your Photo files to the new system, maintaining exactly the same Folder structure*.

4) 'Open' the Catalog, and Lr-Classic will ask to upgrade it (by a copy) to the new v10 format.

Carry-on.

*Some encounter the "Missing files" error- that can be fixed : MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Adobe link) 

Also you will need to copy across your Presets, Plugins, etc.

Move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen

Note: FREE eBook that gives more extensive step-by-step guide!!!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for all the helpful information. I will follow up when I do this if I run into any issues. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe says I need to be at 10.12 or later.

Actually, per: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

To run LrC v20.4, calls for macOS Mojave (version 10.14) or later

And to upgrade to Mojave, see:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP777?locale=en_US

A 2009 iMAC is not supported.

So, no, you cannot upgrade that iMAC to run LrC v10.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines