• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalogue is corrupt

New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I don't seem to be able to open my lightroom catalogue, nor my previous backup - only a backup from last week, meaning I lose around 500 selected and pre-edited photos...
It does not seem to be able to restore.
I have copied it to a different drive, and still have the same issues. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My web browser will not show file attachments. Please include your screen captures in your reply by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon.

Did you turn on the option in Lightroom Classic to write the metadata to XMP (before this problem happened)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Lenda, 

No, I did not turn the option to write the metadata in XMP

Here are the screenshots:

Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 23.13.35.pngScreenshot 2022-05-04 at 23.15.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So despite the messages saying LR would attempt to fix the issue, it cannot open the catalog? If so, and if your only recourse is a backup, that's what you'll need to work on. You really want to be backing up more often but that's water under the bridge. In some rare cases, Adobe engineering may be able to fix a corrupted catalog but the users here who volunteer cannot do so. 

Get a good backup schema that backs up everything on your Mac (not just the catalog) automatically and daily. An inexpensive product is SuperDuper. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it only recovers and older Backup, for some reason the original catalogue and the most recent catalogues are all corrupt.

However, the older backups recognise some of the presets I added this week...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, seems that the problem started with a backup - I have Dropbox for business, and it backups my Mac all the time. Yesterday I had to turn everything off to be able to upload super large files into the dropbox, and it's since then that I cannot seem to be able to open the catalogue.
I notice the pathway leads to the dropbox folder instead of my native MAC's drive. 
However, this should have been fixed by copied lightroom folders to the spare Hard Drive, and it shows the same issue on the same catalogues and backups...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox backing up your MAC "all the time" could be the cause of catalog corruption. Once the files are corrupted, copying folders to a different drive does not eliminate the corruption, it's still there.

I would suggest grabbing a recent backup, unzipping it to a different drive that Dropbox does not back up, and see if that will open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using MacOS Monterey and did you update it to the latest version recently? If so, try this: Go to MacOS 'System Settings - Security & Privacy' and add Lightroom Classic to "Full Disk Access". Click on the lock icon to unlock the settings, then click on the plus icon to add Lightroom Classic if it isn't already listed. If it is listed, then just enable the checkbox.

D56DA892-02A6-40AC-8482-32C51A2A32FF.jpeg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the tip, unfortunately didn't work... Still doesn't open.

Screenshot 2022-05-05 at 01.07.24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines