• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

changing photo dimension in Photoshop may cause problem in Lightroom

Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I process my photos in Photoshop often I extend edges so instead 2:3 photo I have 4:5 photo, so I could upload it correctly into Instagram.

So the NEF file in Lightroom is in 2:3. I can click "Edit in Photoshop" and edit it without changing aspect, save it as tiff, so in the Lightroom it appears as 2:3. But then, I can come back to Photoshop and fix the aspect by extending the edges - changing dimension of the photo. After that Lightroom often is confused. It shows photo with incorrect aspect and when I click develop it shows old 2:3 version.

Is there a way to "update" the photo after it is changed in PS? The only solution I found is to manually remove it from Lightroom then sync my directory again (importing again), which is really time consuming.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean Lightroom Classic? What version NUMBER?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. Make a tiny edit in Lightroom again (like adding 1 vibrance or something like that). That will force Lightroom to update the cache. You may have to zoom in to 100% too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I tried to edit in LR, but it was using previous version, that's why I think it's quite a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can't use the previous version because there is no previous version. Photoshop changed the file. What must have happened is that Lightroom is showing the previous version, because it did not update the cache.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way; one thing puzzles me a bit. Why do you first create the tiff without changing the aspect ratio, and then go back to it and extend the canvas? Why don't you do that right away? That may be less confusing to Lightroom and it is less work for you.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I change dimensions as a first step but previously I was correcting it later, after finishing. That's how I found this issue.

Also imagine case when I am going back to old photo to fix its dimensions (to upload it into Instagram without adding bars in external app).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, I understand. I have seen issues a few times where an edit did not always seem to update the preview immediately. Forcing Lightroom to rebuild the preview always worked. Like I said, this is not an issue where Lightroom still uses the previous version, because there is no previous version anymore. Photoshop changed the aspect ratio of the image, so if Lightroom does not show that right away, then the only possible explanation is that Lightroom is showing you an out-of-date preview.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines