Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the width of side panels

New Here ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi to all,

In past versions of Lightroom, I could change the widths of all the panels by adding a single line to the "en" translated string file. But, this file is not available any more as far as I can see. Is there any other way to change the widths of all the panels in Lightroom with a single stroke?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

On Mac, you can make the panels arbitrarily wide by holding down Alt while you drag the divider. But that broke on Windows years ago. Altay is referring to a workaround where you can edit the TranslatedStrings file to override the maximum width of panels on Windows:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-altdrag-on-windows-doesnt-expand-library-panels-like-optdrag-on-mac/5f5f45e94b561a3d4266f135?commentId=5f5f495f4b561a3d4260ea50 

I just tested my LR 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Opt-drag won't make the panel any smaller than the minimum size, and that bug you referenced sets the minimum size too big.  In the past I've tried hacking TranslatedStrings to make the minimum size in German and other languages smaller, without success.  It's too bad the developers have labeled this "as designed".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just drag out -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you move your mouse left & right across the region between the two sections, you'll see your cursor change from an arrow to a double-headed icon. At that point, just mouse-down and drag left or right. This works on both the left and right side sections.

2021-05-15_08-19-29.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies,

I want to have all the panels on all the seven tabs having equal widths.

So, it seems there is not a way any more to drag them equally like the translated strings method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, there is limited amount of side to side movement. Having 3 equal widths was never possible.

Might you be thinking of what can be achieved in Adobe Bridge? There you can have 3 equal widths in the columns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac, you can make the panels arbitrarily wide by holding down Alt while you drag the divider. But that broke on Windows years ago. Altay is referring to a workaround where you can edit the TranslatedStrings file to override the maximum width of panels on Windows:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-altdrag-on-windows-... 

I just tested my LR 10.2 / Windows 10 installation, and that workaround is still working correctly. If it's not working for you, post here

1. The language in which you are running LR (Preferences > General > Language).

2. The full filepath of the TranslatedStrings file (e.g. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\Resources\en\TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt).

3. The contents of that TranslatedStrings file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot John ... worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac, you can make the panels arbitrarily wide by holding down Alt while you drag the divider.

I wish that were true for my me. It doesn't work on my macbook (I can only increase the panel size with option&drag), and I desperately want to decrease the panel size: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/huge-ui-side-panels-in-lightroom-classi... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Opt-drag won't make the panel any smaller than the minimum size, and that bug you referenced sets the minimum size too big.  In the past I've tried hacking TranslatedStrings to make the minimum size in German and other languages smaller, without success.  It's too bad the developers have labeled this "as designed".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines