Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

changing TIFF file to PSD

Engaged ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ladies and Gents,

I have been working on stacked images in PS (2023) and wanted to do some editing. I brought the image back into LRC (v12) and when done I resent it to PS with LRC edits. The image came back as a TIFF (I didn't note this when in PS) and without all my layers. How can I change it to a PSD file so I can work with my layers again. How can I avoid this in the future? Can I change it to a PSD in PS? (Windows 10)

Thank you,

Photodoc16 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Check your "Edit In" preferences. Also if an image has layers and you edit using Lightroom Classic, you're given the option to edit the original (which has layer) but if, big if, you apply LR edits, and you edit with those edits, they can't be applied until the data is flattened which might be what happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

The whole point of Edit Original is that you can do the layer edits, and still have Lightroom settings applied to the edited TIFF file. Going back to Lightroom isn't a mistake. Just use Edit Original each time you need to update. 

To be clear about your original title, it doesn't matter if the file is Tiff or PSD. Tiff is actually preferable because it's an open standard vs the proprietry nature of PSD and read by more programs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your "Edit In" preferences. Also if an image has layers and you edit using Lightroom Classic, you're given the option to edit the original (which has layer) but if, big if, you apply LR edits, and you edit with those edits, they can't be applied until the data is flattened which might be what happened. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dog,
Thanks. I actually went back to the image I sent to LRC from PS and did
select the Edit Original option. Sure enough, the program began to read the
TIFF file and then all the layers returned.
One mistake was taking the image back to LRC to edit instead of just using
the Camera Raw Filter in PS.
Well done.
Photodoc16

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The whole point of Edit Original is that you can do the layer edits, and still have Lightroom settings applied to the edited TIFF file. Going back to Lightroom isn't a mistake. Just use Edit Original each time you need to update. 

To be clear about your original title, it doesn't matter if the file is Tiff or PSD. Tiff is actually preferable because it's an open standard vs the proprietry nature of PSD and read by more programs. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines