• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Circle of noise created when merge to HDR

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this circle of noise on about 15% of images I process. These are from brackets of 7 images and don't seem to matter if it's a dark area or not. Always in a circle, and only when HDR processed in Lightroom. Version 111.4.1, but iv'e been dealing with this for a year.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recommend that you share a bracket of shots so that members can test on their rigs. Perhaps at Dropbox.

Inquiry:

Are you accomplishing any develop edits prior to the merge?

Do you apply any presets at import?

and:

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/19awds2gpz8lkk2/AAB3WEA_mEkPmhEil7JzdPOca?dl=0
Here are the 7 brackets and my noisy HDR-dng. Thanks for the suggestion, GoldingD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you shooting in JPEG, not RAW?

Wondering if these are the in camera originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is on my laptop, though I get identical results on my desktop.

Lightroom Classic version: 11.4.1 [ 202206241800-b406ce4c ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.15.7 [19H1922]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 1.4GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1,251.3 MB (15.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 11,032.0 MB
Memory cache size: 257.9MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.4.1 [ 1122 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 733MB / 4095MB (17%)
Camera Raw real memory: 737MB / 8192MB (8%)
Displays: 1) 3360x2100

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 645

Init State: 2
User Preference: 1

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/jonathanstampf/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/jonathanstampf/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in
3) Facebook
4) Flickr
5) Luminar AI
6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @schmirector . I took the liberty of downloading your images and tested HDR merge.

I cannot reproduce the 'noise' effect you are seeing.

I might suggest that you really do not need seven images for a HDR. Even 2 or 3 should suffice to give a suitable result.

So i do not have an answer for you, other than it could be lens flare that is being exaggerated in the HDR, but then I would expect to see it in my merges!

Try with 3.

My Seven merge-

2022-07-29 10_04_29-Window.jpg

And a merge from 3 photos  (136, 138, 140)

2022-07-29 10_06_57-Window.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, looking at your samples. Your shooting at what bracket, something like 1-1/2 stop? To tight, your camera has better dynamic range than that, try something more like 2 stops, perhaps 2-1/2 stops, and you will not need seven frames, more like 3. Too many frames can cause artifacts in challenging pics in LrC Photo Merge.

Also, in terms of artifacts, shooting RAW would be better. (separate observation/inquiry to follow)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, a more useful observation/inquiry.

When you merged, what did you have the Deghost Amount set to? Deghosting is not perfect, and can lead to issues. When it does, try less deghosting. 

In my test, I went all bonkers and set deghost to high, and a circle of noise occurred much like your issue, same location, circular. (might also be a bit on the left)

Deghost HighDeghost High

Mind you, your friend appears to have moved a bit, so no deghosting will not work. Try low:

Deghost LowDeghost Low

Mind you, just some quick tonal adjustments, so take the results with a grain of sand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much, GoldingD! My deghosting setting sat at High and I never bothered with it, had no idea I was living my life all bonkers. 🙂 Lowering the ghosting solved my long term issue. This saves me time and improves my work. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines