• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Classic "Not Responding" during import

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: Just returned from a trip with 8500 Raw images on an SSD. The files are grouped in folders by date taken. The Import to the dsesktop starts and copies a couple of folders then quits. Folders with, say, 50 images import Ok but a folder with 6-700 images seems to cause the hang. When it happens I can't get out of Classic and even the Task Manager won't End Task. Have to power off the computer and restart.

Windows 10 Pro up to date, Ryzen 7 5700, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650, 32Gb, etc. Classic up to date, 11.3. The Sanmsung 860 SSD checks out OK according to Windows. Tried importing into ON1 and it works. Tried Olympus Workspace and this works as well.

Any ideas about this problem please?

Thanks

Donald

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the whole computer freezes or crashes? Or do other programs work when this happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: Yes, for I can't get out of Classic by any means. When I imported the folders individually then it workd OK, but a bit tedious!

As I said, other photo programs were able to 'import' the whole SSD without problems in one go. I'm not having any other problems with Classic. Well, apart from the need for Adobe to buy Topaz. Oops, shouldn't have said that!

Donald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I'm still not clear ... do other programs work when this happens, yes or no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi: The computer locks up and nothing works, not even Task Manager. I have to swithch the computer off and restart. I have in the meantime checked out all of the settings I can think of, USB and even the BIOS. I've just tried straight copying from the external SSD to teh internal image SSD again and it works although there are periodic pauses. As if the external SSD was moving the data too fast for the internal image storage SSD to keep up. I wonder if this is tripping Classic up and the other image programs deal with it better. Dunno.

Thanks

Donald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer locking up is almost always a hardware malfunction or bad driver. A software application such as Lightroom Classic cannot cause your computer to lock up.

Since it happens during import of large folders, one likely possibility (although not the only possibility) is that the computer is overheating, as importing into Lightroom Classic uses the CPU heavily and thus generates a lot of heat that is not dissipated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks. I had thought of that, but my processor is well cooled and the temperature never rises above 65C. It is a Ryzen 7 5700 and they are low power anyway. Nothing else in the box goes above this temperature and the NVMe drives - the catalogue is on one of them - sit at around 35C and the chipset around 40C. The graphics card gets up to 40C on a warm day. So this isn't the problem.

Thank you for taking the time to think about this.

Donald

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then it is some other hardware malfunction, or corrupted driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines