• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Classic to iPad Mobile best practices...

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question for the group.  I just added an iPad Pro to my workflow and want to make sure I'm doing this the right way as I've run into a speed bump.

Classic - Made two collections to sync - 1 - Need edits 2 - Final Edits

In Classic I 1 star all the images from a shoot I want to explore more and these get put into Need Edits Collection.  I add stars as I edit to fine-tune my favorites and move them to the Final Edits collection if I want to edit them fully.

Once they are synced I went into my iPad LR and checked the folder as store locally (both folders) so I can edit offline.  As I edit on my iPad and / Desktop Classic I would move the higher stared images to the Final Edit folders and then delete them from the Need Edits collection/folder.  I was working from home this last week so didn't edit on my iPad for the week but when I opened it up last night it still had a lot of the images I had removed from the collection in Classic (some werre gone but some were not).  I copied the image to the final edit folder before deleting the image from the Need Edit folder.  When I delete the image the pop up says Do you want synced photos to remain in All synced Photos...I choose NO so it will stay in all synced only if it is in another synced collection.  Am I missing a step or can I not make it work this way with Store locally checked?  Or is this workflow only work if I delete using Mobile or only using Classic.  Hopefully this all made scense.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic only syncs collections that are set to sync. You talk about moving images between folders, but I assume you mean collections (you do not have to move/delete between folders, images are really moved) so it sounds that your Final Edits collection is not a synced collection.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Both collections are set to sync within Classic (and both set to store locally on my iPad for offline use).  Mobile uses Folders (and not collections) so that is why I used both words.

All the images I moved (copied) from the Needs to Final did show up in the Final folder / collection (so that part works as needed).  It is more about them not being removed from the first folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Both collections are set to sync within Classic (and both set to store locally on my iPad for offline use).  Mobile uses Folders (and not collections) so that is why I used both words.

No, Lightroom Mobile uses albums. Those are the equivalent of collections in Lightroom Classic and sync with collections. Folders in Lr Mobile are the same as collection sets in Lightroom Classic (but do not sync with collection sets).

All the images I moved (copied) from the Needs to Final did show up in the Final folder / collection (so that part works as needed).  It is more about them not being removed from the first folder.

That is normal. You do not move images between albums or collections like you can move images between folders in Lightroom Classic. You add images to an album because an image can be in as many albums/ collections as you want. That means that you have to remove them from another album if you do not want them in that album anymore.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Johan - Ok.  I think we are not on the same page here and we are stuck on words (i fully understand it isn't a folder system).  I'm asking why if I copy (add to) another album, and then remove the image from the album/collection it was originally in....it still shows up on the other device in the old collection / album.  And does this have anything to do wtih me checking the box to store locally on my iPad.  I think it is occuring mainly when I do all this within Classic and copying the images from one collection to another and then removing it from the first collection.  The copy shows up in the updated folder but the image stays in the original Album on my iPad.

Thanks for sticking with me here and hopefully I'm explaining this in a way we can both understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm asking why if I copy (add to) another album, and then remove the image from the album/collection it was originally in....it still shows up on the other device in the old collection / album.

That is probably just a matter of time. The other device needs to sync those changes.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.  I was hoping it would just be time.  All the sync notifications said comeptled so I assumed it was done.  I'll test it out more but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something in my set up or that what I was doing made it not work as I thought.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines